St. George Island/Bob Sikes cut Help

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

surffishing

St. George Island/Bob Sikes cut Help

Post by surffishing »

I am going up to St. Georges Island for next week. Ive never fished or been to the Florida Panhandle at all. Ive read many articles on Bob Sikes cut and it is supposed to have really good fishing. Im planning on fishing that alot and the surf as well. Ill be staying in the Plantation at the western end right next to Bob sikes cut. I was wondering what rigs, lures, and baits should i use? as well as what kind of fish are a possibility to catch this time of year? any help, tips, or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
ps. i am looking for a reputable guide service as well if anyone knows one.
THANKS!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: St. George Island/Bob Sikes cut Help

Post by woopty »

The cut is a great place to fish.
Everything is here this time of year.
Big reds, gator trout, black drum, flounder, tarpon, cobia, spanish, bluefish, spinner sharks, giant rays...
Use live bait (mullet, pinfish) and heavy sinkers to keep it on the bottom in the current if you fish in the cut.
Or put a cork on with 10ft of weighted leader and let the tide carry it out to the mouth.
The real ripping tides are the best.
Fish the shallow areas and bay side with a jig for flounder (mud minnows)
In the surf, use shrimp or catch sand fleas for whiting and pompano.
Just in case, bring a big rod and use one of your whiting as a bait.
I've hooked big tarpon off the beach there.
Can't tell ya what you will catch, but you will catch something.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
surffishing

Post by surffishing »

Thanks alot for the reply. Im really looking foward to being down there. Ive had some saltwater experience but looking foward to trying to catch my first redfish, trout, and first decent sized flounder. What test pound line would you use for the tarpon rod? my heaviest rod has 20 lb on it. also, do the spanish, blues, and trout like gotcha plugs down there?
Thanks
surffishing

Post by surffishing »

Also, what kind of jig for flounder? thanks
TheWhaler15

Post by TheWhaler15 »

surffishing wrote:Thanks alot for the reply. Im really looking foward to being down there. Ive had some saltwater experience but looking foward to trying to catch my first redfish, trout, and first decent sized flounder. What test pound line would you use for the tarpon rod? my heaviest rod has 20 lb on it. also, do the spanish, blues, and trout like gotcha plugs down there?
Thanks
My big spinning rod has 40 lb. braid on it for Tarpon, cobia, and bigger sharks. You could go 50 lb just to be safe. Try to get braid; 50 lb. mono on a reel doesn't allow for a lot of line to be put on, plus braid is easier to handle. Use a rod length's amount of 60-80 lb flourocarbon leader attached to the braid. I connect mine with a Double-Uni; if just want to use a split shot, use only 4-5 ft of leader.

Make sure to tie good knots, have the drag set somewhat medium for the first few minutes, and then buckle in for a fight!

Good luck. I am also staying at St. George from July 11-18th....should be a great week!
surffishing

Post by surffishing »

what kind of lures should i use for redfish?