Legal Bait?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Does anyone know for certain if it is "legal" to use game fish for bait. I have used rock bass for bait and know others have as well. However, as there is a size limit for them and they are considered a game fish, I began to wonder if this is actually legal. I also hear of folk's using bream as bait for catfish but is my understanding that this is illegal....Would hate to get in trouble with the MAN :eek:
rookie

Post by rookie »

Don't know about seabass, but I have always heard that if you catch the bream with line and hook, it is okay to use them as bait for catfish. I will check on that this morning and post a reply. If anyone esle can help, please feel free to post.
LiveLine

Post by LiveLine »

That is a good question. I use small seabass for bait at times and they work pretty well.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Technically if you are in posession of a Rockbass under 10" either on your boat or on your hook for bait you are in violation.

But I never use rockbass under 10" for bait. I just end up foul hooking a lot of them in the top of the shoulders. :wink:

rookie

Post by rookie »

Sorry about taking so long to answer, but the correct answer according to FWCC is as follows:

Fishing for catfish, you can use bream as bait as long as it is caught by hook and line.

Using rock bass as bait is legal, as long as the fish is of legal size (10"), and remains in whole condition. It can't be used as cut bait.

I just can't see using a legal rock bass as bait, they look much better on my plate. :lick:
BigbaitBigfish

Post by BigbaitBigfish »

But a bubba grouper caught by that rockie would look better, wouldn't it? :grin:
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

I've heard that a foul-hooked speckled trout is in severe danger if a grouper is around?
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Thanks for the replies,,certainly don't want to end up with any "jail bait" :lol: