kings,cobes, and Tarpon!

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skitterwalk

kings,cobes, and Tarpon!

Post by skitterwalk »

Went on a four day fishing /camping extravaganza with rob looking for big toothy critters!
FIRST NIGHTGot to the camp site at around 8pm and fished the back side of the bay at the campground on the bay side. By this time it was 10:30 and the trout bite was on fire! The trout couldn't stand the one knocker and inhaled and missed it all night long. Not to much size but hey fun none the less! Rob was asleep by the time I got back so asleep I went for the big day ahead!
FIRST DAY Bottom line it rained ALL day and fishing was not possible.
SECOND DAYVery similar to day one but we had to leave half way through the day to drive to camping spot number two! Met up with Brad at Sunjamers and that was the highlight of the day! So with sprits as low as they could get due to getting rained out both days of the trip, we pack up and head to location # two. The radar showed clear skies in the AM so we stayed up all night long riging our yaks and rods from reds and trout to cobia and kings! Finally got to bed about 1am with everything good to go in the morning.
THIRD DAYWoke up around 5am and pulled the yaks to the beach rigged for a day of hard core fishing! The wind was a bit breezy but very fishable. So we make it past the breakers and head out to about a half mile and put the lines out with cigar minnows. We troll around about an hour and a half and things just are not happening! Rob comes over and says he thinks we need more weight on out minnows so that it can get a bit deeper. Just as soon as he is boat side about to hand me a weight his rod doubles over as if saying NO! NO WEIGHT! lol so he lets go and starts to fight em! He shows up at the surface pretty quick and we see that its a ling as it jumps and thrashed and makes blistering runs. I grab the bow of his yak and start to take him into shore in hopes of geting a good beach shot of the fish but here is an action shot.
He got a leader touch just to make Shure it was considered a landed fish for KW.About half way to the beach the fish makes a quick burst run as rob reaches for the fish and POW! The braid snaps clean off where it wrapped around the rod tip. Things weren't pretty after that! lol but he recovered and got back to trolling! About 4 and a half miles down the beach we get into a school of spanish and after nothing happening all morning. We will take anything that is willing to bite! Rob throws in with a sebile and a huge spinner shark hammers it followed by a jump that rivals a tarpon jump! definitely a spectacular jump and with such a massive shark the splash was HUGE...awesome sight. After that we turn around and head back to the landing. About that time my rod goes down but not a very big fish so I was confused as to what It was. I got it just about to the surface my drag goes to singing and I think ok he finally noticed he was hooked! But then the line goes slack. I reel in and this is what I see.
That trout was in 30 feet of water and got nailed on the way up! So I knew I was over some structure. I throw out a new cigar minnow and almost immediately BINGO!! The drag starts to smoke!!(LITTERALY) I grab the rod as fast as I can and crank the drag as to not let him spool me. I didnt think much of it. I just thought ok nice spanish because they were everywhere but then the "RUN" came and I was freakin out yelling at rob to come over. Here is the video to put it into perspective
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJzkxo-g_0[/youtube]

Yea it was a bit different than the ole spanish I thought it was!! After that it was time to head in because we didn’t want to let the meat to go bad siting on my yak the whole 4.5 miles in. Half way to the launch I see something strange and I knew the water didn’t look right so I said hey rob what do you think is going on over their? About that time the almighty silver king takes a big gulp of air 30 feet in front of our yaks! Followed my an eruption of flying kings dive bombing what we thought were bait pods! Wish I could have caught that action. They were swimming in front, under and behind our yaks in shallow crystal clear water…just incredible! But didn’t have anything to do with our presentations. They had enough food in front of them! Cool none the less but we knew we had to keep going with a storm beginning to brew close by.

FOURTH DAYBy the fourth day we were tired and ready to do something more layed back...so we went snorkeling and SUP boarding for pompano.!!

This little guy bit me anyone know what it is?
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Re: kings,cobes, and Tarpon!

Post by lizbeth »

The water looks great ! where was this ?
Pirate Girl
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Great story and photos.And that is a pompano that bit you.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

lizbeth wrote:The water looks great ! where was this ?
over by PCB
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hardcore trip, nice work!!
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Skitterwalk, just hope you appreciate what a charmed life you're leading. Many a man will live his entire life and not see the adventures you've seen just this summer alone!
Gotta salute the awesome adventures as well as the really great pics! :thumbup: :beer: salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Attaboy, Skit.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.