Scallops @ Econfina??

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Scallops @ Econfina??

Post by flatsbroke »

I'm gonna take off 2 days next week to scallop,One out of St Marks thursday w/ a friend and one wed w/ the girlfriend and her parents outta Econfina.....yeh i said it,Econfina :-? Got my reservations about how much luck we'll have but her and her Fam have found limits there in years past.I,myself,have only seen ppl fishing out there in my 8-10 trips fishing out of Ecky. Anybody have an insight on this matter?? Sure I'm gonna end up there wed but hoping to hear something positive/promising from you guys...
Flatsbroke
tabb

Re: Scallops @ Econfina??

Post by tabb »

Was down there a few weeks ago and had no problem finding scallops in about 8 feet of water. Water was clear and you could see them from the surface and swim down and get them sitting right on top of the grass. We went about half way to the bird rack straight out of the mouth. We found them around the edges of the sandy bottoms hanging out in the grass ( not the short turtle grass). I used a long net with about a 5 foot handle only had to swim down a couple of few the scope them up.

Went to Cape San Blas this weekend and they were thicker and bigger meat but they were down in the grass and had to look hard to see them. It was almost easier walking around and stepping on them then picking them up.

I enjoyed the clear water at the econfina and not nearly the people. I think the day at the econfina we had about 4 boats around us but nobody got close to us. We probably stayed 100 yards away from each other of further.

give us a report when you get back.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

been at least 3 times all 3 times we limited it out at econfina with 4 people on the boat... so they are everywhere, like tabb said about 8 ft of water would be a good place to start i was about 200 yards in from the bird racks. so unless you're swiming with your eyes closed you won't have any issues finding them!
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks Guys....just wasn't sure,kinda having to go along with future "in-laws" to keep the peace,even though we're taking 2 separate boats. I KNOW that the thurs trip to St Marks will be successful because already had a great weekday trip there last month.Should find 'em at Ecky too according to these good reports cause,YES,I do like snorkeling w/ my eyes WIDE open,might even toss a jig or two out that direction.
Flatsbroke
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

I even have a plastic 5 gallon bucket w/ a clear bottom so she can lean over the bow and look while I cruise along....... :wink: BUT,there is one prob- wasn't gonna arrive until 1030-11 and Ecky have a 0.4 @ 1125 am.oops!!!!!!! Now what?? Can I get out and off at St Marks(lighthouse) in that much of a low? Wahoo(boston whaler type)probably drafts 2 friggin feet,Now what guys?
Flatsbroke
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

flatsbroke wrote:I even have a plastic 5 gallon bucket w/ a clear bottom so she can lean over the bow and look while I cruise along....... :wink: BUT,there is one prob- wasn't gonna arrive until 1030-11 and Ecky have a 0.4 @ 1125 am.oops!!!!!!! Now what?? Can I get out and off at St Marks(lighthouse) in that much of a low? Wahoo(boston whaler type)probably drafts 2 friggin feet,Now what guys?
You will need at least 1.5' if you know Ecofina well. 2' if you dont. Better get there about 8:00 and fish some first.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks Hit-n-Miss,The problem with the wed trip planned for Econfina is I'm not gonna get off from Fire Dept until 8 am wednesday morn,pull out by 9,at landing by 11=trouble for the Wahoo. :( So I guess it'll be St Marks both wed and thurs. So am I going to have trouble getting off at the Lighthouse w/ a 0.4 low??
Flatsbroke
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I went out today. The water was a little murky and you couldnt see them from the surface, but once you dived they were there. Just head the the birdrack and stop when you hit 8'. Also managed 6 trout today, so dont forget to bring your jigs!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

flatsbroke wrote:Thanks Hit-n-Miss,The problem with the wed trip planned for Econfina is I'm not gonna get off from Fire Dept until 8 am wednesday morn,pull out by 9,at landing by 11=trouble for the Wahoo. :( So I guess it'll be St Marks both wed and thurs. So am I going to have trouble getting off at the Lighthouse w/ a 0.4 low??
At the lighthouse, If you can get the boat off the trailer without running off the end of the ramp and that damn curb you should be fine. Its a no wake out to the mouth so trim it up and idle out.
tabb

Post by tabb »

How far of run is it from St. Marks to Econfina?

I went out of Econfina on a -0.05 one afternoon. Lady at the store was having a cow that I was going out. I run shallow in my 1988 fish & ski barge. Ran into a little muddy bottom right before I made it to the mouth but no problems. Fished the incoming tide until almost dark. Nice way to end a day.