Man....I thought that this was a "PHISH" site....LOL

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

From the ranger station to the gate is four miles. From there to the end of the of the island (East Pass)is another 4.5 to 5 miles.
The road is sandy so going by bike would be kinda tough, the good thing about biking to the end is that you don't have to buy the additional pass to have access. You may walk or bike in with only the enterance fee.
The closest place to launch a boat to sikes cut is at the foot of the bridge as you come on to the island, one on each side of the road.
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

I would plan on getting in and out of the boat ramps on the island at high tide. Was there 3 weeks ago, with a small john boat and still had to get out and walk it about 300 to 400' after getting 50' away from the ramp itself. A wild life officer out there at the time said both sides were the same.
I also think there is another boat ramp on the western side of the island, but it may be in the plantation. If I were going to the cut in a decent size boat, I would put in over in Appalachacola.
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

I forgot what I really wanted to ask, sorry...

Gizmo, if the vacation pass to the gate is 24/7, can folks camp on the beach @ east pass? I promise to not to leave a trace when I leave. Does the state park have a policy about fires on the beach?

thanks alot for the expert knowledge.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Sorry jep but no camping allowed at the east end. I don't know how we would find out though unless someone reported you. We do have 60 campsites in the park though. Just before you get to the back gate the road on the left goes to the campgrounds. The rates as of now are $14.00 a nite, $2.00 for electricity, total $16.96 per nite with tax. Florida seniors get a 50% discount on the $14.00. Almost forgot about the fire on the beach, no fires except in the campgrounds in the fire rings.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gizmo on 2002-02-26 5:22 pm ]</font>
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

So just don't get reported eh?.... :idea:

thanks again for the info, though I can't immagine camping in this weather!!!!
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ