Man....I thought that this was a "PHISH" site....LOL

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EXisTenTiaL

Post by EXisTenTiaL »

what a dupe I am .....I thought that this was a PHISH forum until after I registered.......

Sorry you guys for wasting my time.......ha.
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Was it for this my life I sought? maybe so maybe not..
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Anybody else staying in St. George this weekend? I need access to the Plantation.....

Control for smilers can't be bought, Maybe so and maybe not
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

what is plantation?? never heard of it
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I don't know whats biting at the cut in the plantation. I'm a park ranger at the state park on the island and everyone is catching whiting on the gulf side, a few reds and specks from around the oyster bars on the bay side. Fishing at the east end should be picking up soon. The traffic going down there has been picking up lately. I'm trying to get some of the fishermen to stop by and let me know what is being caught so I can give a report on here.
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

that sounds great....thanks
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Hey gizmo,

I would love a report on the east cut.
do you have to pay extra to drive out there?
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I would love a daily report of what the lock combinations will be. :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

Jere, the Plantation is a gated community on the west end of the island. No access unless you own or are renting a house there. The government (Sike's) cut at this end of the island is, in my opinion, the best land based fishing spot on the gulf.

Gizmo, I'll ask the $64,000 question. What's condition is the east end road, how many 4WD vehicles got stuck this week, and does it still cost $150.00 for a tow truck?
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Jep, you can buy a annual pass or vacation pass for 7 days that will cover up to 8 people in a 4x4 vehicle. Cost for the annual pass is 84.80 and for the vacation pass it is 13.25, otherwise it is 6.36 per person per day.
Sawbones the road is in ok condition after the rain that we just had, before that it had pretty deep ruts towards the end. The tow truck still costs between $150 and $200, not exactly sure. Only one vehicle got stuck but that was because his 4x4 went out.
Tom the codes change monthly, if you buy the annual pass all you have to do is call the front desk and we will verify your permit and give you the new combo's. The annual and vacation passes both offer 24/7 access to the east end of the island.
I'm still trying to get a few of the people to give a report so this may take a little while to get it going. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gizmo on 2002-02-22 6:29 pm ]</font>
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Thanks for all the feed back on the Plantation.... sounds like it is a good place to fish...... sounds like maybe needs a new road to and from the cut... :???:
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

The place that I am refering to (East Pass) is on the opposite end of the Island, the plantation is on the west end of the island.
As far as I know the only way to get into the plantation is to have or rent a house inside there. Sikes cut is a very popular place to fish by boat. Hope this helps to clear things up.
Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

Gizmo, am I correct in thinking that the road to the east end was paved at one time, but was washed out by a storm? Any long range plans for improving it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sawbones on 2002-02-23 9:23 am ]</font>
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

No plans on the drawing board as of now. Never know what the future holds though. It's really not that bad though as long as your 4x4 doesn't fail you. With the limited access to the east end it doesn't get over fished and also not that crowded. Like I said before the pass also grants 24 hour access.
BinkWms

Post by BinkWms »

How far is it from the end of the pavement to the fishing beach on the east end? I don't have a 4 wheel. For the very energetic would it be possible to go by mountain bike? Also, where is the closest ramp to get out to Sikes cut by boat? Thanks. Bink