Shell point 9/17

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Shell point 9/17

Post by Salty Gator »

Sam and I were able to get out on Saturday to do a little redfishing. We wanted to make a short day of it so we could get back and watch football. Sam had been redfishing a couple of times, but never caught a keeper. He also had never kayak fished. With the NE wind we decided on shell point. Started the day with breakfast sammiches from Jerries. We put in at safe light. Met Minnesota yaker( I think that is right) and a stiff breeze at the ramp. We worked the grass line for a while with topwater plugs and spoons. No luck. We started walking along oyster bars, where I picked up a 16" flattie (new penny jerk shad on weedless jig head). While Sam was catching short reds and a NICE 18" flattie (red and silver aqua dream spoon). I started catching bull minnows. Once we had a few, we started fishing a new bar. Sam quickly picked up his first slot red. A nice 23 incher. He ended up with 2 more on the morning. All on bull minnows . It is so cool to watch someone catch their first red. I've seen it twice in the last 3 weeks, and to me, it is better than catching 10. Total on the day, 2 flounder 16 and 18", 4 slot reds to 23". 10-12 short reds. And for my first time 0 catfish. The best action came at the end of the outgoing tide. Awesome morning. Off the water by 12, showered and ribs on the grill by 2:00.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jhults11

Re: Shell point 9/17

Post by Jhults11 »

Way to do it David! Fall fishing is knocking at our door...shouldn't be long now...I think a trip to the Redfish "Promise Land" is in the near future:)!!!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau