trolling motor for a yak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Koenig

trolling motor for a yak

Post by Koenig »

Anyone got a trolling motor on their kayak? Wonder if they are a pain in the butt or worth every penny.
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: trolling motor for a yak

Post by red_yakker »

I considered it until I found out that in Florida, you must register your kayak as a boat if it is powered, even if it is just an electric trolling motor.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

No Yak, but I have an electric motor on my canoe. Worth every penny of the $12 yearly for the tags. But then again that is for my canoe...
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
cotton

Post by cotton »

I would recommend you don't buy one until you've had your yak for a while. I've had my yak for 2 years. I'm 20 lbs lighter and can pedal for most of a 12 hour outing. The guy I fished with every weekend for a year, could do the same paddling. If after a while you still can't get the hang of it. Consider a different yak. I equate kayaking to walking with the right equipment. If you have a medical condtion that doesn't allow you to pedal/paddle then go for it.

One more thing. I wish I had learned to paddle before I bought a hobie. I almost panic every time my pedals go out.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Just get a jon boat. A trolling motor kills the whole reason for having a kayak. IMHO
Team Jolly Mon
camperkilgore

Post by camperkilgore »

cotton wrote:One more thing. I wish I had learned to paddle before I bought a hobie. I almost panic every time my pedals go out.
How many times have your pedals failed?
I've been considering a Hobie or an Ultimate 14.5 with propel, and I have been wondering about pedal failures.

Tom(new member and kayaker wannabe)
cotton

Post by cotton »

camperkilgore wrote:How many times have your pedals failed?
I fish every Saturday from daylight till afternoon. In 2 years of owning my hobie. I have had 4 failures in approximately 100 trips.

1. Flipper broke(under warranty) - Would have cost $20
2. Bent flipper rod - It still worked and when I got home I fix it myself. - Free
3. Flipper rod came unscrewed - I paddled to shore and screwed it in by hand. It lasted the day and I tighted it at home - Free
4. Broken chain(last Saturday) - I had no business out in that wind and got my flipper stuck in a sand bar with 20 mph wind. I put 2 much pressure on it and the chain broke. I've been told it will cost $40.

You'll notice all of my repairs are caused by hitting objects in our shallows. I would guess a lake fisherman might never have a failure.

I need to replace one of my flippers now. So, in 2 years, and 100 trips, my total repairs will be $60. No gas. No registration and a whole lot of fun. Not bad. Try that in a boat.
camperkilgore

Post by camperkilgore »

cotton wrote:
camperkilgore wrote:How many times have your pedals failed?
I fish every Saturday from daylight till afternoon. In 2 years of owning my hobie. I have had 4 failures in approximately 100 trips.

1. Flipper broke(under warranty) - Would have cost $20
2. Bent flipper rod - It still worked and when I got home I fix it myself. - Free
3. Flipper rod came unscrewed - I paddled to shore and screwed it in by hand. It lasted the day and I tighted it at home - Free
4. Broken chain(last Saturday) - I had no business out in that wind and got my flipper stuck in a sand bar with 20 mph wind. I put 2 much pressure on it and the chain broke. I've been told it will cost $40.

You'll notice all of my repairs are caused by hitting objects in our shallows. I would guess a lake fisherman might never have a failure.

I need to replace one of my flippers now. So, in 2 years, and 100 trips, my total repairs will be $60. No gas. No registration and a whole lot of fun. Not bad. Try that in a boat.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like minor stuff to me, and not something that would indicate poor engineering. Now all I have to do is test drive the ones I am considering to see if this old man(60 years old) can handle the strain without breaking myself.
cotton

Post by cotton »

I can't find it on their website. http://www.thewildernessway.net But, I believe The wilderness way is having demo on Nov 6th. Go out and try them all. I'm sure you'll find one to your liking.
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Thanks for the comments. I have been renting and paddling for a long time, just finally got one of my own. Tarpon 140. I just like the idea of being able to extend my trips. I was thinking of buying the minn kota endura, its $100. Wouldn't be too much to invest just to see if I like it. If not, I'd just sell it.
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
Bdub

Post by Bdub »

I got a 55# great white from basspro and I love it. But I also have times that i just want to paddle. I think its worth every penny when you finish your trip and your tired and dont feel like paddling.
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

http://www.smalloutboardengines.com/index.html
why not just get one of these if you have to title it.
Pirate Girl