Fort Pickens 26 Nov 2011

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

Fort Pickens 26 Nov 2011

Post by Terrier »

Was over at the in-laws in Gulf Breeze for Thanksgiving. I brought my fly rods and made a few trips to Fort Pickens. Unfortunately, the wind was howling both days making for lousy fly fishing. I did get a spanish and some small yellow jacks yesterday. I went this morning despite the wind and was having no luck. Right before I had to leave I moved to a spot near the fishing pier where there was a little shelter from the wind. Tried about 20 casts with red and minnow minnow imitation - nothing. Switched over to my 7wt BVK with a chartruese/white ostrich/marabou/calf tail clouser - told myself three casts than you have to leave. I was stripping in the fly on the last cast when I saw a silver/white flash at about the same time the fly stopped - then the line just flew off the reel; I was deep into the backing in about 10 seconds and all I could do was watch the line peel off the reel. I think I was down to about 20 yards of backing before it finally slowed (the reel is a Nautilus FW 7+ which takes about 200 yards of backing, so there about 150 yards out, maybe more). I was able to get line on the reel but then it would surge and strip it off. This was on for about 10 minutes and then I was able to gain more line. In another 5 minutes or so, the fly line end was back on the reel and the fish was coming in, despite a few more surges. After about a 15 minute fight, I beached it - a false albacore ('bone head " as we used to call them). It was big, maybe 8lbs or so. I released it but due to the prolonged fight, I don't know it will survive - I was fishing for trout or reds and didn't expect an albie 50' off the beach. I had seen them breaking the day before about 50 yards off the beach, but that was closer to the pass than this. Anyway, It was quite a fight - first time I've seen the backing and I almost saw all of it!

One pic -

Few more of Fort Pickens around the pass:

Fort Pickens is well worth a visit for fishing and beach activities - $8.00 to get in but that admission ticket is good for a week.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Re: Fort Pickens 26 Nov 2011

Post by FHC »

good deal :thumbup: :thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Fort Pickens 26 Nov 2011

Post by Harmsway »

Very exciting! :thumbup:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.