Fishing in the river

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lambizi

Fishing in the river

Post by lambizi »

I have family coming to town for the holidays and some of the kids want to head out fishing. I would normally take them to Turkey Point shoal, DGI reef, or to St. Marks, but the seas look a little rough this weekend for my 17'er loaded down with kiddies. Can anyone offer me advice as to how to have any luck fishing in the rivers? I was thinking either the Ochlocknee or St. Marks. I've never been up the St. Marks. We always put in at the fort and just haul tail out past the lighthouse. Is the fishing any good there? Will the same baits and techniques work in the rivers as they do on the flats? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Fishing in the river

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

PUT IN AT THE FORT AND MAKE A LEFT HAND TURN, GO UP PAST THE POWER PLANT UNTIL YA COME TO THE FIRST BEND IN THE RIVER TO THE LEFT, NOT VERY FAR, ON THE RIGHT IS A LITTLE RIVERLET DRAINING INTO THE RIVER JUST BEFORE YA GET TO THE LEFT BEND. ANCHOR IN THE LITTLE RIVERLET, CAST TOWARD THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER USING RED HEADED 1/8TH OZ. JIGS WITH RED HEADED, WHITE BODY PADDLE TAIL GRUBS, OR CHARTRUISE GRUBS, OR ELECTRIC CHICKEN GRUBS, LET IT FALL SLOWLY AND REEL IT BACK IN VERY SLOWLY. MOST TIMES YOU WILL CATCH WHITE TROUT AND SMALL SEATROUT. THE SMALL SEA TROUT YA HAVE TO THROW BACK IN BUT THE WHITE TROUT YA CAN KEEP A BUCKET FULL OF THEM. SOME PEOPLE USE SHRIMP BUT THAT IS A LITTLE COSTLY FOR AN OLD MAN LIKE ME.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

That is a good spot. Get there early the river is busy this time of year. If you wait til 10:00 it sometimes looks like a parking lot.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

It will look like the PTTS over the holidays if the weather is warm ! OK mabey not that bad :-D
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

That is a great spot, have had good luck there the last couple of weekends , with kids shrimp is the easy way for them to catch fish, but you may have to work more but it's worth it