Vulture Problem

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Vulture Problem

Post by Fighting Conch »

I could use some advice. When I got home from work yesterday there were 30 or 40 vultures out behind my back yard clustered in a couple of trees. It was like a Hitchcock movie, my wife did not like it and the dog was freaked out. We live close to Lake Iamonia and I suppose with the change in the weather and winds coming up the birds were looking for shelter. I certainly do not want a vulture roost, if they return is there something I can do to get them to move on? I am in a subdivision so shooting is not an option.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Vulture Problem

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The most effective method would be posting a NO VULTURES ALLOWED sign at the base of the tree. :hammer:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HA HA HA HA, JT THINKS THAT EVERYBODY AND THING IS EDUCATED IN HIS COLLEGE TOWN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Quit cleaning fish in the back yard? :smt005

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

I thought Florida's new protection law allows shooting to kill if you feel threatened?
RalphKramden2011

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

On second thought it's probably just a Democrap meeting! :-D
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I would shoot them if it is a really persistent problem. Bird shot is virtually harmless on a free fall, nothing like a bullet on an arch.

Course, if you kill them, only more will show up to eat the fallen. Its a vicious cycle.

Or, you could cut down the trees...
850-273-8818
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just walk out there close to em and let loose with one of them air horns :o it shouldn't take many times for em ta get the idea :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

get a bigger dog...

I'll loan you one if you want
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

http://youtu.be/mxiZxN1IN0U
You could take a lesson from the Chinese. Apparently they take their pest control pretty seriously. I doubt your subdivision restrictions mention flamethrowers specifically. :-D
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

It's only a temporary situation. They aren't going to start nesting there.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Red,
Birds seem to have a short memory. I'm going through kinda the same thing, the wood peckers (not sure what kind of bird, about two inches tall, smaller than a sparrow) are eating my house. I have cedar siding, and the little pecker heads love it. Got holes all over the house where they have pecked holes in it. Tried everything, even shooting them. Kill one and two show up the next day to resume pecking the hole. I have tried the noise thing but they come back 15 minutes later. :smt011
When your inside the house, and they start pecking the sound is amplified by 10. Sounds like a M-60 machine gun firing. Makes an ole Veteran like me have flashbacks! Got to duck and cover under the coffee table before I realize what it is.) :roll:

salute2
Semper Fi
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Vultures are fairly smart so doing the airhorn thing a few times should give them the what for. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't hanging around because of the low levels @ your lake...looking for an easy meal.

The cedar siding problem can prolly be solved by getting one of those swallowtail kite decoys with the moving wings. That will solve almost any bird problem.
Be careful shooting those smallish birds...especially if you think they are woodpeckers. They are highly protected.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I read about a buzzard problem on another site a week or two ago. I have no answer. But, I don't think a buzzard will eat another buzzard. As far as woodpeckers goes. do you think they looking for carpenter bee larvae. If so, that's another problem. Ask me how I know?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Fireworks are effective. Bottle rockets with a report can be aimed relatively well. Firecrackers work if the birds are fairly close. Vultures are mostly docile and do not like confrontation. If they feel threatened they will move on. They can be shooed fairly easily.