280 Ackley Improved

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

sundown
Site Sponsor

280 Ackley Improved

Post by sundown »

I'm already liking this hunting forum..Anybody on here shoot a 280 Ackley Improved ? I'm seriously in the market for one..Would like to hear some experiences with or opinions on the caliber.
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Re: 280 Ackley Improved

Post by WolfeMan »

Wow, I had no idea this cartridge even existed... sounds VERY cool, but my concern is this, ammo availability. I have what I consider an "odd ball" caliber with my 270 WSM and I have had enough of a hard time finding ammo that I ordered a hundred rounds from Cabelas.

This 280 Ackerly Improved looks neat, but good luck picking up a box of ammo at Wal-Mart on the way to the range.

That being said, if you stock up on a round that you like - like I did with my 270 WSM, you probably wont have any problem.
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I've shot a .280 Remington for years, which is the "standard" round, I think the Ackley Improved has a little steeper shoulder angle but not much difference in the real world. It is a good all-purpose round although like the previous poster indicated ammo availability will be limited. It is hard enough to find the standard .280 Reminington even in some gun shops so the AI will be tough. I never worry too much about because I keep plenty on hand but if you leave it at home good luck finding it!

I handloaded for years but now shoot the Federal Premium 150gr. Nosler Partiton, very accurate and it is going completely through whatever you hit. I picked the .280 over the .270 as I prefer a little more bullet weight than many do and the 7mm bullets are very efficient from a ballistics perspective.

or you can just do what a lot of folks do, buy a 30-06...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

The Ackley has a 40 degree shoulder angle which increases powder capacity. It will shoot 140-150 grain bullets at approx 7mm Mag velocities with 30% less powder and the equivalent recoil. I've been shooting a 280 Remington and been well satisfied. Just wanted a little more velocity as I do occasionally do some longer range shooting.
As far as availability of ammo, I reload practically everything I shoot so no problem there. Also, In a pinch you can shoot a 280 Remington round in the A.I. with only a small loss in velocity. In fact, you make your own 280 A.I. brass from 280 rem by fire-forming them. According to what I've read on the cartridge its supposedly one of the real accurate wildcats. Nosler has started offering brass for the Ackley as well as chambering their rifle for it.
All said and done though, as zload said buy a 30-06 and you got everything covered. I've got one I have hunted with for 40 years. Just like to try different calibers.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Those new Nosler rifles are sweet, I shoot a Remington 700 Moutain Rifle from their Custom Shop, it has a longer barrel than norm and the kevlar stock, shoots well. I always used IMR 4831 when I was loading with a 150 Nolser NP, wonder if you need a slower powder with the AI?
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

The Nosler reloading manual shows 2994 f.p.s. with 60.5 grains of Hodgdon 4831 short cut behind a 150 gr partition or solid base. This is good powder efficiency. No load shown for IMR 4831. Lists 3107 f.p.s. with 63 grains of IMR 7828 which is a good clean burning slow powder. I've used it in a 7 mag.. good propellant. Reloader 19 is also a good 7mm powder.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Back when I dreamed of wildatting, I read Ackley's book. Great read and a great cartridge. I always wanted one plus a 6mm/244 improved. PO Ackley basically improved every cartridge by shooting a standard cartridge in an improved barrel. Then reloaded the improved. Pretty simple.