Ditch bags? Got one?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Ditch bags? Got one?

Post by Rhettley »

For those that venture into water over waist deep, do you have a designated ditch bag you use? What do you find you wouldn't be without?
I decided I should have one pre-packed and I'm sure you guys have some tips I haven't thought of.
What bag are yall using? For now I'm just using a $5 soft sided bag cooler. Its not going to be waterproof but it should be water resistant, easy to store or hang under the center console, and I believe it will float. If it doesn't float I'll add a section from one of those kids pool noodles.
Anything I will be using only in emergency will go into vacuum sealer bags.

So far I'm including-
ARC-PLB waterproof floating mode.
flare pistol and 4 12 gauge flare shells. I'll probably put 4 more in soon.
4 hand held flares
some glow sticks
a couple of distress whistles.
4 mesh blaze orange vests (deer hunting types). Figure they can be used worn over blue life jackets or waved as a flag
a 20 or so yard length of cord
small selection of zip ties
a package of blood clotting agent (forgot the name brand) to stop severe bleeding from a laceration
tape that is used on horses or on your arm when they draw blood. It isn't adhesive but wraps over itself and grips to itself and should work for a good while when wet
extra Ziplock heavy duty bags in a couple of sized to keep things waterproof
Gerber shears for cutting? Not decided on this one yet. Would be good for cutting rope, straps, etc. but is it worth the room and danger of cutting myself with them?

Things I'm considering adding-
hand held vhf when I get one
waterproof flashlight
a bottle or two of water?

At this point I'm thinking I'll have more stuff than I have room for and will start eliminating non essential stuff
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Re: Ditch bags? Got one?

Post by Sea Fox »

Good list, floating knife with lanyard would be a good item.
Sea Ya !
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I would add a safety sausage like divers carry. It's small and fairly cheap but will give you a larger profile if you are in the water. One of the inflateable fanny pack life jackts would be good too.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sa3959.html

I have 3 of these C-strobes ($20-25 each), which are waterproof and operate up to 8 hours on 2 AA batteries. Mine are over 5 years old and still work fine. I check them several times a year and never had one fail. Also, I carry 50 feet of 3/8" nylon line with 5 brass connectors to be able to keep the crew together in a water event...and a 2nd 50 feet of floating nylon line. These items in addition to most of what Rhett mentioned.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I got an email this morning. Cabela's had their Guardian 3500 auto life jackets on sale for $89 plus free shipping. I picked one up to wear when I'm running or fishing by myself. Pretty good bargain if you need one.