Scouting...New to Hunting

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Scouting...New to Hunting

Post by CoastalPirate »

I went hunting for the first time this year up in Arkansas and want to continue it here. My step-father, the one who took me hunting, thinks I'm Mr. Money bags :lol: and should join I club, but in all honesty I have no money to join a club. I would rather use it to go on a saltwater trip to be honest. So I am considering public land. My wife said she would be my hunting partner so what we are wondering is how would we go about scouting for the next hunting season? We are considering the Apalachicola forest. As of right now I am saving up for a GPS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Scouting...New to Hunting

Post by MudDucker »

You can scout for the layout of the land, but the pattern of the animals changes. Right now they are in spring rut season. The fall and winter is more of eat to survive mode. Get that GPS!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

What Mudduck said X ten.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bman

Post by bman »

I assume your talking about deer... Be careful on public land. Anyone can go and a lot of folks don't know what they are doing.

I'd suggest asking friends if they have an opening in a lease or know of some private land you can learn on.
That's not going to easy to find because we hunters are protective of our spots :-)

Also do some reading on hunting ethics... There was a great book at Kevin's called something like "how to get invited and asked back"
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Bman you assumed correct, I am after deer....and also hogs,turkeys and maybe some bushy tails. Haha I wouldnt ask for your spots just like I wouldnt ask for a fisherman's honey holes. I have been told numerous times to be extremely careful going into public land, my bro who works for FWC wont even go in there with me. But the issue is still the same, I lack the funds to obtain a lease and I dont know anyone who hunts. Now if land owners would let me pay a specific rate for a day I would do it in a heart beat! For now my option is the GPS and a deer stand. I appreciate the help no matter what though!
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

So, JT has all the holes, and now Bman has all the food plots...
850-273-8818
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

lots of corn and deer cameras!
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Aucilla offers deer, hogs and turkeys. I never had a dangerous encounter but have seen some fools there. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

There are some fellas on the local forums that do quite well deer hunting the public land around the area. Get your GPS and learn how to use it taking short walks around your neighborhood. Once you feel comfortable with it, start taking hikes on the public land/WMAs. See what the tree cover does to your GPS. Some units don't get a signal through tree tops.
On your hikes look for tree rubs or old ground scrapes from this past winter. They'll use the same areas next year. Look for narrow trails through the brush, grass, undergrowth, etc. Deer use surprising small trails and often walk single file down the same trail every day. Find areas where the trails intersect if you can. You can also find areas where they cross a fence at a low spot. Just make sure it's not on a boundary line...
The pressure when season starts might change their movements but if you have enough areas you are familiar with you can figure out what changes they are making.