Jubilee...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Leerr

Post by Leerr »

Have ya'll heard of the Jubilee's that happen around here?
Well if not, It is when Flounder,Crabs,Shrimp,Ells,Stingrays and sometimes some other fish come up to the beach. Because their is no Oxygen in the water. It happens in the Summer and Sometimes in the Fall. It happens EARLY in the morning Between Midnight and 6a.m. and sometimes lasts until Daylight. But I have seen it start around 9pm. It really is an awesome thing to see! But it screws up the Specks fishing for a day or 2

Here are a couple of pics of a Jubilee.

Forgot to minchen. The Jubille Happens when their is almost No Wind, And it has to be coming out of the East Or Northeast. :wink:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks for the post and the pics.
This is a phenomenon(sp) that only happens in certain conditions. Does it happen anywhere else?
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

That is really amazing...those poor flounder looked like they needed a nice warm corn meal bath...mmmmmm
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

And that cornmeal bath they got :lol:

Well...It happens here and somewhere in Japan.But I think that's it. :grin: :grin:
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Leer, we would hear about that happening over your way when I lived in Pensacola. Wished I was closer to take advantage of it. I think something similar happens with a certain species of fish along the beaches of northern California.
OD
Kai Lover

Post by Kai Lover »

JUBILEE!!! Man-o-man, the same phenomenon happens in NC; however, I thought we were the only ones that called it a jubilee!

I've seen this a few times in my life on the NC coast in the Neuse River when I was growing up. We used to do a lot of "gigging" or "flounderin" with lanterns and gigs. Just as you describe when the oxygen level is low, it's hot, and you get a full moon we would see the jubilee. Usually thrown into this mix in NC within the crab "herds" are softshell crabs and shrimp. I've picked up over 100 softies in a night not to mention gigging some doormats. If you see it again start tapping the tops of the blue crab's shells--no noise pick them up. Looks like some in the pictures (the "she crabs" covered by "jimmy's")

One of my first dates with my wife we hit a jubilee together. Thanx for memories Leer great post! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kai Lover on 2002-02-26 7:56 am ]</font>
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

No problem :smile:

I thought that we were the only place that has a Jubilee (exept for some place in Japan)
I guess not :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leerr on 2002-02-26 11:17 am ]</font>