St Marks Lighthouse

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

johnt0148

St Marks Lighthouse

Post by johnt0148 »

I am looking at fishing the St Marks Lighthouse area with my son in our trident prowler kayaks on April 8th. The tides look inviting for the early afternoon and wondered if anyone else has had any success yet and where I might point my son to find some action. If this is not the best venue, please tell me where we should go as this is not an every day event for us.
Thanks,
John
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Lighthouse

Post by Reel Addiction »

There is a big oyster bar right in front of the lighthouse, I would simply paddle out and fish around it. This time of year, you should tear'um up on just about anything you want to throw at them. Good luck and post your results.
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

Wow, Thats what I want to hear. 15 minutes and I get a response. Sorry I have not been more involved here. Thanks,
John
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY JOHN, WHEN YOU COME OUT THE CANAL IF YOU WILL MAKE A RIGHT HAND TURN AND GO ABOUT 100 YRDS. , LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT AND YOU CAN SEE A CHANNEL GOING NORTH, PADDLE UP AS FAR AS YOU WANT TO GO, THIS IS EAST RIVER AND IT GOES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE IMPOUNDMENTS, MANY OYSTER BARS AND MOST TIMES PLENTY OF TROUT AND REDS, THIS TIME OF THE YEAR I HAVE ALWAYS USED TOP WATER PLUGS, BLUE BACK AND SILVER SIDES, ONE THAT MAKES PLENTY OF NOISE, YOU WILL CATCH FISH UP IN THE EAST RIVER. THE BAR IN FRONT OF THE LIGHT HOUSE IS GOOD FOR A COUPLE OF TROUT AND MAYBE A RED OR TWO.
GOOD LUCK, POST WHAT YOU CATCH.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
bman

Post by bman »

A buddy got into the trout yesterday right out in front of the light house! Caught several on top water... but I'd throw some gulp under a popping cork.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

The popping cork was the ticket yesterday with a DOA shrimp underneath.
Team Jolly Mon
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

My son and I launched the Trident Prowlers at the landing at 3pm and headed to the East River for a 4pm high tide. My son had never fished from a kayak but had no difficulty keeping up with his old man which was not a big deal.

Finding the East River was difficult as I never really saw a river, but we took a right from the landing and proceeded about a quarter mile from shore. At about 3:30 I caught a 17” trout and called my son to join me who caught a remora. When he reached me I lost what would have been #2. My son then caught 2 20” Trout and gut hooked both of them with the gulp minnow I rigged for him at exactly 4pm.

Needless to say my son was pumped! The wind kicked up as we headed back to shore and watching the Prowlers handle the 2’ waves was so relaxing.

Thanks for introducing us to the East River. The concentration of bait and oyster bars was fertile ground for Redfish which I did not find. I did see a sheephead on the rocks.
john