Too Fat for a YAK?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Too Fat for a YAK?

Post by Dockwilson »

Bought a boat in Feb. Took it out 3 times. Been in the shop for 3.5 weeks now. I have a yak I have never used and I want to go fishing. I am a fat guy. 6' 275lbs. The yak says 400 so I'm ok. Just wondering if any of you guys are big guys too. How uncomfortable can it be, right?
Any insights would be appreciated.
I guess I could be The Fat Yakker" :D
cotton

Re: Too Fat for a YAK?

Post by cotton »

Over on www.fcka.net we've got several big guys. I won't name any names, but some of them have to be about your size or bigger. There are several yaks that would be appropriate for a big guy. Hopefully you have one that works. Just be sure to start out at a fairly safe landing. Wakulla beach is excellent for a newbie.

Most folks that ever give a kayak a try never go back to fishing from a boat. But, it's not for everyone. If you fish in it twice a week, you won't weigh 275 next year. I've lost around 20 lbs in the 2 years I've owned mine and I'm a little guy.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

cotton wrote:Over on www.fcka.net we've got several big guys. I won't name any names, but some of them have to be about your size or bigger. There are several yaks that would be appropriate for a big guy. Hopefully you have one that works. Just be sure to start out at a fairly safe landing. Wakulla beach is excellent for a newbie.

Most folks that ever give a kayak a try never go back to fishing from a boat. But, it's not for everyone. If you fish in it twice a week, you won't weigh 275 next year. I've lost around 20 lbs in the 2 years I've owned mine and I'm a little guy.
Sounds good, unless your change is size is shark or gator related. :-D
Any suggestions on a seat back? Mine is a Cresent, Splash II. It has moulded seats built in, but no seat back.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Dockwilson wrote:Any suggestions on a seat back? Mine is a Cresent, Splash II. It has moulded seats built in, but no seat back.
Sorry, I own a hobie, so I have no experience with buying seats.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Ok,
Thanks.

Anyone know of a YAK dealer that takes trades? I have two of these Cresent Splash II I got from a guy that owed me $$. I figured something was better than nothing. They are 1-3 person.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

cotton wrote:Over on www.fcka.net we've got several big guys. I won't name any names, but some of them have to be about your size or bigger. There are several yaks that would be appropriate for a big guy. Hopefully you have one that works. Just be sure to start out at a fairly safe landing. Wakulla beach is excellent for a newbie.

I will name names. They start with "J" and end with "SUBER".
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

I will name names. They start with "J" and end with "SUBER
".

Have you seen Jeff lately? Dude's the string bean dean of the lean cuisine
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I'm 6' and about 225.
I ride around in my tarpon 140 just fine.... with the scupper plugs in. Lol.
Lots of kayaks that will perform with a guy your size...like cotton said.....go to wakulla beach and try it out.
Or better yet just a paddling trip over at mashes sands. See how you feel in it.
Remember, if it feels a bit squirlley at firstthats normal. But 20 minutes later it should feel safe and stable.....if not....its prolly not the one for you.

Edit:
I just looked up your kayak and you should be fine fishing from that. Go to wilderness way or tnt and get a seat for it and strap it down in the middle position. Gtg
:thumbup:

Its 32" across and 500lb capacity. It'll be plenty stable. May be slow.
Get a milk crate and have at it man! You will have a blast!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I'm 5'11", 240 lbs. My 11 foot yak has a capacity of 350 lbs. I sometimes think I want a bigger yak, but everytime I get on one I am dissapointed with the manuverability.
I get a little wet on mine, but it's never been a real issue. You should be fine.
Oh, BTW. Take your yak out and do some serious fishing 2-3 times a week and you may find yourself a little less fat.
Attachments
S4020138.JPG
S4020138.JPG (913.4 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

I was 6"1' and 270. I have not fished more than a few hours out of my mad river 12 ft yak. I have had no issues, but rough weather does seem to allow more water on board. Some of that may be yak design. Been on a mission and will not see 270 again.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I have a Pelican 115 sit inside, started at 6'4" 280 aka Fat Irish, now I am 6'4" 240 aka Big Irish
Getting wet is part of the deal. Everyone takes a shower when you get home, so what difference does it make? 8)
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

This probably goes w/o saying, keep what gear u can strapped down some way or another. My yak didnt come rigged fr fishingbut I use bungy cords to hold down my gear and to keep my paddle from swimming away while im fishing. Im sureallyaks dont act the same, and im also sure u can only lean over to one side or the other BUT SO Much and she will flip over ul figure all that out, its part of the fun. Rick
andystaxidermy

Post by andystaxidermy »

well ima big boy...300+ and i have had no issues with the wilderness tarpon 140 once i got used to it...i just picked up my new Ride 135 and i can actually stand in that thing....so the answer is no..your not to fat to yak...lol.