Tandem Yak?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Tandem Yak?

Post by Dockwilson »

Are there any tandem kayaks for fishing that can be used solo too? Any thoughts?
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Re: Tandem Yak?

Post by jadams92002 »

I like my single seater kayak. It is 13.5 ft and I don't know if I would want someone else on there with me. I can see getting hit with a lure with a tandem. Just my 2 cents.
fish on!!
Site Sponsor

Post by fish on!! »

I just got a Native Ultimate tandem from Kevin's. It can also be set up as a solo which is how it will usually stay except for the rare occasion when my wife wants to go out for a paddle.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

We have the perception tribe 13.5
It is awesome. Got it at wilderness way....
It easily handles the wife and kid....and is stable as can be. Easy to paddle solo.
550lb capacity. Tracks straight....fairly fast for its size. Comes with ok seats and paddles.

Only con it has so far is lack of storage..... the hatch options aren't very big.
I'm going to bungee~in the back seat and put an oversized crate there for fishing/touring storage.

Wilderness way rents them. Try one out.
johnt0148

Post by johnt0148 »

I thought about this question for a long time and decided on 2 OK Prowlers. Both my sons and my wife like the freedom of navigating and being the captian of their own boat. Fishing from 2 kayaks lets us search a larger area and once one of us find the fish, a walkie-talkie gets us back together again. I can assist netting and like the race back to the landing. Loading and Hauling 2 Kayaks in the back of my pick-up is fast and easy. The only thing is that the cost of 2 kayaks was more than 1 tandum, but the benefits were worth it.
hope this helps,
John
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Pretty much all of the Native Watercraft tandems can have one seat removed and the other one slid more toward the middle of the kayak. I like the tandems over the single seaters even when I fish by myself simply because I tote a lot of gear.

- Steve Stinson
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Someone smarter than me came up with this, but heregoes. Sleep tandem paddle solo. I'm not sure how your wife likes treble hooks in the head, but mine doesn't. Get 2 yaks if she is going often. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Salty Gator wrote:Someone smarter than me came up with this, but heregoes. Sleep tandem paddle solo. I'm not sure how your wife likes treble hooks in the head, but mine doesn't. Get 2 yaks if she is going often. Good luck
She won't paddle by herself and probably will only go once anyway. I think I will rent one :D

Thanks Everyone
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I thought the same thing dock.....
And now I own two kayaks.
Lol.

good luck!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

kikstand454 wrote:I thought the same thing dock.....
And now I own two kayaks.
Lol.

good luck!
Smart man...
Team Jolly Mon