Tagged out! What an opening weekend here in KY!!

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Tagged out! What an opening weekend here in KY!!

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Well, after taking my first double bearded bird yesterday I wasn't sure what to expect this morning... especially with all this wind!! I setup further back in the open field I took yesterday's bird and wait. Much better gobbling this morning vs. yesterday. Birds started hammering about 5:45 and they didn't stop even after fly down for me. My blind was facing the west and I had 2 birds hammering all morning to my south about 100 yards away on a hillside, but they never headed my way... I was cutting and yelping like crazy and they would answer every time. Never saw them as they continued to gobble heading west. I just shut down and they finally stopped hammering about 7:15 and by then I had one hen visit my setup and spotted a couple more hens out in the open field. A little before 8 a bird to my south gobbled once and he sounded close.... I gave a few yelps and purrs on my slate call and I glanced over and here he comes. Once he spots the Jake he makes a bee line right for him and starts puffing up right next to the Jake decoy. Lights out about 8:15! My Jake decoy took a few for the team, but no major damage! Not sure if one of those birds circled back or this was a satellite gobbler sneaking in to all the "hens" he heard earlier! 22lbs with what's left of a 9" Beard (with some beard funk) & 3/4" & 1" spurs.

Now it's time for some Hillbilly Bonefish on the fly!!! :-D

Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Tagged out! What an opening weekend here in KY!!

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YA BETTER NOT GET CAUGHT SHOOTING THOSE TURKEY'S ON THAT TURKEY FARM. NICE BIRD, THEY MUST BE PLENTIFUL IN KY. THIS YEAR. SO FAR I HAVE ONLY SEEN 1 HEN HERE ON THE SOUTH FORTY, USUALLY THERE SEVERAL DOZ. IN AND AROUND THE SOD FIELDS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:YA BETTER NOT GET CAUGHT SHOOTING THOSE TURKEY'S ON THAT TURKEY FARM. NICE BIRD, THEY MUST BE PLENTIFUL IN KY. THIS YEAR. SO FAR I HAVE ONLY SEEN 1 HEN HERE ON THE SOUTH FORTY, USUALLY THERE SEVERAL DOZ. IN AND AROUND THE SOD FIELDS.
PA
SEMPER FI
:D :D

We've had some decent hatches for a couple of years here. The past couple of years our farm and the neighboring farms have had quite a few birds on them. I'm thankful I've got a place to hunt like this!!! Very blessed! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Olebiker

Post by Olebiker »

Amazing! I was born in Sunfish, Kentucky in Edmonson County and never saw a turkey all through the fifties through the eighties.