Wakulla County hotspot?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SBW

Wakulla County hotspot?

Post by SBW »

Alright, so I'm relatively new to the area and have yet to find a reliable strategy for catching much more than Sand Trout and Whiting. I'm after bigger prey! I've been to Bald Point many times and had moderate success, the same with the Ochlockonee Bay bridge, and have only recently discovered Mashes Sands Pier. I need some advice on WHERE I can find a consistent bite, and exactly what the method of choice is for the area. To be specific about it, I'm planning a night fishing trip in the next week or so, and as of right now I was thinking of going to Mashes Sands on the next evening high tide, netting some finger mullet, and trying my luck at some larger fish. Is this the best spot to go for such a quest, or should i look elsewhere? BTW, If you didn't gather I have no boat.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla County hotspot?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Got a boat?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SBW

Post by SBW »

Yeah, yeah... I know, I know... Duplicate post... Gets me "clever" replies... I didn't see when I posted the first one that this part of the forum is MUCH more frequented. But THANKS for making me feel welcome as a new member. NOW. Care to give some actual advice??
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You got an actual answer to the boat question?
If you do not have a boat and want to catch more and bigger fish you should go to the St. George Island bridge and fish.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

P.S. WELCOME. :evil:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SBW

Post by SBW »

LOL. Sorry man, miscommunication. I guess you read my first post, and replied on my second, which I edited and at the end said I had no boat, hence my thinking you were giving me a hard time.. And I would love to hit the bridge at St. George, but I am taking the wife with me at for this trip, and going all the way to St. George for a night fishing trip is kind of out of the question.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Wade fish the St. Marks lighthouse oyster bars on a rising tide with live/cut finger mullet. Go down and give it a try. Fish the bar near the ramp and the long one in front of the lighthouse. I have caught everything that swims in the gulf off those bars from Reds, Trout, and Flounder to Spanish, Cobia, and massive Bull Sharks. May and October are usually the best months to wade down their. Trust me, this is the best area to wade fish in the saltwater that is in close proximity to Tallahassee!! Good luck with it and welcome to the zoo!!
Last edited by Jhults11 on April 21st, 2012, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
SBW

Post by SBW »

Will have to give that a shot on a morning trip. Don't think I'll be wading at night though. Would love to get a mess of flounder for dinner and a nice Bull just for the fight. Have never had the thrill of landing a big shark, just small Blacktips and Bonnetheads. I currently have a old school Penn with about 350 yds of 40 lb line and 3 ft of 60 lb leader with a 7/0 circle hook. Do you think that would handle a Bull?? Or should I rig up with heavier gear??
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

That will handle anything you would encounter off those bars as far as sharks. For the smaller species such as trout and reds I would roll with a 7 ft medium rod with a spinning reel like a shimano/penn with 15-20 lb braided line and 20 lb fluorocarbon. Also, use a jig head with your cut bait...anyways I have told you too much already lol so go down their and get afer it....
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

If you don't have a boat and don't mind wade fishing, go back and look at the many prior post on this forum under wade fishing and also under the kayak fishing ( you can generally wade fish in the same areas the plastic navy goes). The prior post are full of useful information as to what is being caught, at the different times of the year, where people are catching them and what techniques they have used. This forum is loaded with great fishing information from the best fisherman in the area. If you want to target a certain fish, do a search and you will be amazed at what comes up. If you want a mess of flounder, learn how to gig them. I have been very successful gigging them by simple walking an area with underwater lights. I would also suggest you research You Tube for information as that is loaded with useful information. There are many examples of how to make your own inexpensive lights. Also, this forum is loaded with very funny people that like to have fun, but they will all genuinely try and help you so don't be afraid to ask. You don't need a boat to have great fishing experiences. Good luck and please share you results as part of our "pass it forward" philosophy. Welcome!!!
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

Sorry but there is no wade fishing area. That information is under Surf fishing. My bad!
SBW

Post by SBW »

Thanks for all the advice guys. And Jhults, as far as gear should have clarified that I meant that the Penn was the only heavy(ish) gear that I have. Not the ONLY gear, lol. I run 7' medium actions, but I'll pass on the spinners, am too in love with my ambassadeurs for Reds n such. I will definitely keep everyone posted, and even throw in some pics if i get anything worth it. One interesting thing this past week did happen. The bite was slow for the most part (aside from the pinfish and grunts), but I have caught FAR more Black Sea Bass this year than in any other, and also caught what appeared to be juvenile grouper off of the Mashes Pier. Anyone else experiencing anything like this??
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SBW looks like you got some good advice. You will most definitely want a wire leader for bull sharks. You could get lucky w a circle hook and land one, but if you are targeting sharks, you want wire. You can do a lot of fishing from shore. Good spots already mentioned plus pompano fishing on st george. Start saving now. You would be surprised how little you could spend on a decent kayak, canoe or jonboat. You might be able to find something for what you would spend on a decent inshore combo. There are also places to rent yaks, some will take what you have spent in rentals and apply that to the price of a yak you buy. I'm pretty sure TNT hideaway and st marks outfitters rent yaks( get a native!). It will open you up to many more areas. Instead of being at the mercy of one spot you can hit many spots. Spots that will produce on different tides, times of year etc. Another way people shark fish is to sit on the beach and paddle( yak or canoe) a bait way off the beach and drop it and paddle back in to watch the rod, stuck in a sand spike( a must for fishing in sand). And if you find an"consistent" bite please let me know cause I don't know what that is. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven