Best style boat for the area?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Squirm88

Best style boat for the area?

Post by Squirm88 »

Recently moved to Tallahassee from South FL for work. Been boating/fishing my whole life but I sold my boat when I moved to Tally. A friend has taken me inshore fishing for reds and trout from the St. Marks area and suddenly have the itch to be back on the water.

My last boat was a Contender 25. I was pretty spoiled having a great offshore fishery that required a very short run. I was able to mainly target sailfish in the winter and dolphin in the summer.

Thinking this time a bay boat may be better suited for this area. I'm assuming with a bay boat I can get skinny enough for reds/trout and depending on weather do a short offshore run for bottom fish. I realize a bay boat is a trade off and is not particulary suited to get very skinny nor would I want to ride in one in 3'+ seas. Any thoughts what style boat would be better for this area?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Best style boat for the area?

Post by Gulf Coast »

Bay boat :thumbup: :thumbup: I believe Skeeter is having a demo day at the Roc the Dock this weekend
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Gulf Coast wrote:Bay boat :thumbup: :thumbup: I believe Skeeter is having a demo day at the Roc the Dock this weekend

i have a skeeter bay boat and i wouldn't trade it for anything. for the area like youre asking about anything from a bay boat to a skiff will work.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

For the multi-tasking fishing you describe, a bay boat would be the best choice. On most tides you'll be able to get in shallow enough for trout, reds and to access the creeks with a good trolling motor and for those calm days run out to the AF towers or nearshore reefs. There are some really good choices out there to fit most any budget. You didn't mention whether you'd be in the market for new or pre-owned. Also 20- to 22-feet would be the size range I'd personally focus on. Good luck with your search and post some success stories once you get the new ride christened.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Love my Panga 22' Marquesas... guessing 80% of my trips the past two years have included offshore runs to spots as far as 20 miles out, but have ended most of those same days snagging reds off falling tides down to about +1.0' tides out of St. Marks & Econfina... and pushing the 22' boat at speeds of 35 with just a 90hp motor. Flared bow will keep you dry and v-hull keeps you from getting beat to death. Having been on many different boats can say with 100% certainty you could definitely do worse than a Panga. :beer:
PangaShallow.jpg
PangaShallow.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Haven't actually rode Marine's Dream, but I have tested several brands and models of pangas for the magazines and I can second BBG's endorsement. Pangas are a very versatile and fuel-efficient design and extremely seaworthy. Fit into the bay boat category perfectly. There are a few other panga owners on this boat and I'm sure they'll add to the chorus.
Last edited by silverking on April 24th, 2012, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

There should be something here you like.
Attachments
boat 4 sale.jpg
boat 4 sale.jpg (39.11 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE AN 18' ALUM. STAR CRAFT AND IT WORKS GREAT IN WATER 16-18" AND WILL HANDLE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING UNDER 3' SWELLS OFF SHORE IF YOU USE COMMON SENSE, THIS APPLIES TO ANY WATER TRAVEL. IT GOES 50 + IF I NEED TO, GENERALY I RUN IT AT ABOUT 2/3 THROTTLE AND SHE RUNS 38-40, IS SEMI -V AND GOOD DRY RIDE. I DO NOT KNOW IF FORD MOTOR CO. IS STILL MAKING THESE BOATS OR NOT, IF YOU CAN FIND A USED ONE IT WOULD BE ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED TO WORK THE FLATS AND BAY AND OFF SHORE TO ABOUT 20 MILES. I HAVE AN OLD V-4 EVINRUDE 85 H.P. WITH ABOUT 3-4,000 HOURS OF USE ON IT AND IT STILL RUNS LIKE NEW. I PLAN TO CONTINUE USING THIS OLD FRIEND UNTIL THE MOTOR DIES , THEN JUST GIVE IT AWAY. I AM TOO OLD TO BUY ANOTHER OUTFIT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

My Skeeter zx20 bay works for everything I want to do.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

big bend gyrene wrote:Love my Panga 22' Marquesas... guessing 80% of my trips the past two years have included offshore runs to spots as far as 20 miles out, but have ended most of those same days snagging reds off falling tides down to about +1.0' tides out of St. Marks & Econfina... and pushing the 22' boat at speeds of 35 with just a 90hp motor. Flared bow will keep you dry and v-hull keeps you from getting beat to death. Having been on many different boats can say with 100% certainty you could definitely do worse than a Panga. :beer:
PangaShallow.jpg
I have a traditional semi-v (18 degree deadrise) center console 20 footer with a t-top, and it will also fish anywhere that a bay boat will, but it has more profile to catch the wind. Under some circumstances this isn't an advantage. This is also true for the panga. While more freeboard (IMO) is better offshore, it makes it more difficult to use a trolling motor on my boat - again there is so much "sail" from the boat and the top it just moves too much with the wind. I have to use a drift sock a lot of times drifting on the flats, or else I haul too fast.

Having spent a lot of time in a 20-22' bay, many 15-18' pure flats skiffs/boats (mostly Mav's and Hewes) and my boat's design, (plus a whole lot of other hulls) there is a tradeoff with each based on what your primary interest will be. The bay is probably the "best" compromise between inshore and minimal - moderate offshore capability around here, but it won't pole or do well in bigger waves, especially at anchor. A couple of weeks ago I went fishing on my bud's 21' bay, and at anchor if you moved forward of the console you would take a wave over the bow (it was fairly rough). That would not happen in my boat (or the panga) under similar conditions. On the other hand, a longer (21-22' bay) will ride quite well while underway in fairly rough seas as long as the wave period is appropriate.

So, IMO, for: 1)mostly flats and real shallow, pole and/or trolling motor, fly caster: 15-18' flats skiff/boat 2)flats, nearshore, limited offshore, (big) trolling motor: 20-22' bay 3)inshore, flats, passes, offshore: conventional center console or panga.

EJ
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Everything's a trade-off, Squirm88. You know that, I bet. There's no one boat that will do everything well, and if you go for one that does a few things mediocre then you might not be satisfied. So its tough. I like my 22-ft fiberglass bay boat, and I get pretty skinny with it, but I'm always worried about beating up the bottom or getting stuck on a falling tide. I often wish I also had an aluminum boat like Xpress or G3 to do some serious redfishing.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

Jumptrout nice looking boat.....think I can get out of the Econfina on a low tide with that mother ship?

Sounds like a bay boat or panga may be the best fit. I'm thinking a used boat a couple years old would be good.

Any opinion on which brands to focus on? Skeeter seems to have a strong following but I don't know much about them since they don't make offshore boats. I don't have much experience with inshore brands. I would prefer a semi custom builder with high attention to fit, finish, wiring and a high resale value. If I was looking for an offshore center console boat I would be looking at Seavee, Yellowfin or Contender type boats.

Any thoughts on Pathfinder, Shearwater, Triton, Andros, Cape Bay, Young or Hydra-Sports Bay Bolt? I would mention the Yellowfin 24 bay boat but even used I'm not looking to spend that much on a bay boat.

Thanks!
beer_fixes_all

Post by beer_fixes_all »

I bought my NauticStar 210 Coastal last year and love it. It is a great fishing boat and also keeps my wonderful wife happy when we use it for a family boat. I have only had it out about 7 miles so far but plan on some longer voyages this year. She has seen 3 to 4 foot seas a few times and has a pretty dry ride.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Have you considered a Hobie Outback? :-)
Team Jolly Mon
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I have a 22 pathfinder t and like it a lot. Call Fred at big bend marine in perry and see what he can do for you.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven