What are we doing wrong?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

What are we doing wrong?

Post by setty7 »

Well we have been out about 3 times the passes month and have caught maybe 5 fish total :/ we are using 1/4 oz jig heads with gulp new penny's and the white/grey ones. We try right out in front of the light house to about 2 miles out. Is their "holes" somewhere or bait or what? Thanks for the advice guys. We have caught a few trout but nothing in the size limit, and a few rock bass. We would like to catch some nice reds and trout. What is the ideal time to go? We are out there about 10 am. Thanks guys!!!
fishinfrenzi15

Re: What are we doing wrong?

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

fishin sucks lately. you may not be doin anything wrong. try a little earlier, or later. there are holes, but you should be able to catch fish all over the place, WHEN they're biting.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

go earlier before it gets to hot now and try popping corks out there in about 3 ft. and start working deeper .u can also try suspending plugs such as the bite a baits and redfins due to all the floating grass when the tide comes in .
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I am certainly no expert but here is what I would do.
First, back off to jigheads in the 1/16th or 1/8th range, redhead preferfred. Make sure you are over a grassy bottom in water about 3-5 feet. Fish this under a cajun thunder with a leader about 2-3 feet long. The bite is always better when the tide is moving.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thanks for ur replies guys! I'm new so what is suspending plugs like you mentioned??
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Are the gulp good? We have these fish that I would call "bait steelers" that feel like they are nibbling at the bait and when I go to set the hook they aren't there??
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Yes, gulp is good. With trout you lift the rod tip and pull. Trout have a soft mouth and you could lose one setting the hook like bass fishing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thank you yes I pull up really hard so I guess I miss them? So pull up lightly when I feel them nibbling?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Those are pinfish and grunts mostly. I usually take it as a good sign. When the baitfish are nibbling there are often predators around too. Take a small chunk of gulp on a little bream hook and toss it out there when you are getting those bites. Then put that pinfish under a cork and see what is around!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

What technique are you using with the thunder?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Awesome so tear the gulp up? And jumptrout51....are you talking to me?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

setty7 wrote:Awesome so tear the gulp up? And jumptrout51....are you talking to me?
Yup.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Yes JT was talking to you. When using the Cajun Thunder cork you should be making some noise now and again. Keeping the slack out of your line you should pop the cork once or twice then let it sit for a few seconds, repeat.
If the nibblers are nibbling that is probably pinfish. If you pull your jig away from them gently, many times it will get the attention of some predators(Trout) and they will eat. Remember, patience and be gentle with the Trout, both with the hook set and the fight. It is easy to overpower their soft mouths.
Keep an eye out for spotty bottom areas. Those areas where there is good grass cover with some bald spots thrown in seem to produce better than a large carpeted area.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I can't help you in your part of the big bend, but in the Cedar Key south area I am having a lot of luck with bigger trout and redfish with 5 to 6 inch soft white jurk bait rigged texas style. fish around the edge of the potholes and in the grass in 2.5 to 4 feet of water very sslow. we limited out this past weekend on both trout and redfish . average size trout 18. experiment with bullet weights and no weights sometime one works better than others, this weekend no weight was the best
setty7

Post by setty7 »

fishinfool wrote:Yes JT was talking to you. When using the Cajun Thunder cork you should be making some noise now and again. Keeping the slack out of your line you should pop the cork once or twice then let it sit for a few seconds, repeat.
If the nibblers are nibbling that is probably pinfish. If you pull your jig away from them gently, many times it will get the attention of some predators(Trout) and they will eat. Remember, patience and be gentle with the Trout, both with the hook set and the fight. It is easy to overpower their soft mouths.
Keep an eye out for spotty bottom areas. Those areas where there is good grass cover with some bald spots thrown in seem to produce better than a large carpeted area.

Awesome man, I've been setting the hook to hard. So just pull up when I feel them?