Site Update, Wants and Needs?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Site Update, Wants and Needs?

Post by bman »

So I've been the boss for a couple of months.
Spent some time under the hood learning the engine of the site.
Experiences a few glitches with the host that should be resolved now.

Now its time to talk about a few changes :thumbup:

Project #1 is to add a few things to the forum.
1-Taptalk for easier mobile access to the forum
2- Per JTs request some new Smilies
3-Maybe a sponsor only section with a truly off topic politics section... MAYBE :o

Project #2 is a redesign of the main site.
What parts of the main site do you guys use the most and what do you want to see added?
What other links do you visit before a trip that you would like easy access too on the main page?

What else would you guys like to see?

Thanks to the Sponsors that advertise and thanks to the members that have renewed their Site Sponsor status!
They are the people that are going to fund the changes and keep us up and running!
If you want to be a sponsor its $10 a year.
Here is a link with a paypal button and a physical address to mail checks to... They can be made out to "BigBendFishing.net"
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/sponsorship.htm

This is not a money making thing for me... I just enjoy it like the rest of you.
Any funds that come in are to rework the site and pay for hosting.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CaptReelThyme

Re: Site Update, Wants and Needs?

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I love the site, and am on it minimum twice a day, sometimes even more. I don't know the answer and this may be petty, but is there a way that every time you click a new link it doesn't open a new tab on windows or iPad? Seems like after a 10 minute visit I have to close a bunch of tabs or pages down. May be some like it that way, who knows. Also what does it take to be a site sponsor? You can pm me if needed. Thanks BMan, for keeping it up and the great work!

CaptRT salute3
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Im with CaptRT, I love this site and am on it a lot. I use this site mainly for seeking and posting fishing reports and the comedy of JT. What I noticed a lot is fishermen posting their reports in the general fishing area instead of the report area. I would recommend moving the report area to the top of the forum so it is the first section seen. :beer: :beer:
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

My number one request. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Way too many web site "redesigns" have gone wild with crazy, unreadable colors and pages and links so complicated that you just give up. Just because technology can do it, does not mean it has to be done. :smt011

Besides that, I love the site. Thanks for the time you are putting in to it Bman! :smt006

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

A general clean-up/update of the main page would be nice. Some of the links in the menu haven't been updated in 10 years, such as articles and photos. Those could probably be dropped. Not sure how many members use the fish weight calculator, but maybe that could be moved to the Tips and Tricks section? I personally like less clutter than having to scan the whole page.

Faster rotation of the Fish of the Week photo. Maybe moderators could pull a good shot from the reports rather than wait for submission to speed up the rotation.

An update of the moon phase to the current calendar year.

Can't speak for all, but I read the Discussion/Reports and For Sale sections more than anything else. Perhaps a re-arrangement of those to the top of the menu would make it easier to navigate.

In that regard, I agree with CRT's suggestion to cut back on the open pages if that's possible with the current software.

As a sponsor, I would vote against adding a political section. Enough of that crap already on other forums. I'm disgusted by much of what's going on in Washington like many others, but let's keep this one focused on fishing, hunting, boating and the outdoors.

Thanks for taking the ball and running with it, Bman. And let me know what else I can do to help besides my sponsorship.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LIKE IT LIKE IT IS, DUBBLE AND I ARE CLOSE TO THE SAME, USE THE FISHING,TIDES & WINDS, OTHER, AND HOME PAGES. YA DOIN A GOOD JOB BMAN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Support for Forum Runner.....Mobile App
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

How about a Need a Ride/Share a Ride section. With gas prices going up might be a good way for all of us to keep our costs down. Would also like to see some more marketing of this site. Its a great resource and the more we get folks to use it the better off we'll all be. Thanks for all your hard work on keeping the site up and running. Also, perhaps a new pic on the front page :)
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

Barry, Thanks for taking over. I take a look most days and in this order. 1. inshore reports. 2. Fishing., 3. Off Topic. Visit some other topics only occasionally. We have a place at Econfina, and news of that spot is what I look for. I like it the way it is now, keep it simple. The most important part of the site is having folks post there reports and to keep them involved. Keep the social going. Thats about it for me. Keep up the good work.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Bring back the Chat room
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Need a contact address for you BMan. I used to send Tom a check periodically to help some with the site. I never got around to using paypal or other payment vehicles. If you will post that I'll get a remittance out immediately. I'm sure others will too.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Barry, this is one of my favorite sites, and a real gold mine for fishing info and area updates. I use the tides/moon page very frequently. If the tides/moon "quick view" link could be updated to 2012 (currently stuck at 2011), that would be groovy. Thanks for all you do!
bman

Post by bman »

All good info..
Those of you mobile forum guys.. what app do you like the best.

As far as sponsorship it has typically been $10 a year but I think most folks paid once and have never been asked pay again.
Here is a link with a paypal button and a physical address to mail checks to... They can be made out to "BigBendFishing.net"
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/sponsorship.htm

I'm going to send a message out to all the current sponsors asking them to re-up.
This is not a money making thing for me... I just enjoy it like the rest of you.
Any funds that come in are to rework the site and pay for hosting.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions!
Keep them coming.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Would be nice to put a link such as this on the home page somewhere.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?m ... syn=gmz700
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Stickers please Barry, that's all I ask! :-)
Team Jolly Mon