Bait Casting nets

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pro24

Post by Pro24 »

I fish St. George. I use a 6 ft 3/8" mesh net casting for Pilchards/menhadens, mud-minows, etc. I'm lookingfor a bigger net with more weight per foot to catch bait in deeper water 8' to 10'. The small net does not drop fast enough.

Will a 9ft, 1.5 lbs per foot, 1/2" mesh do the job for pilchards, or do I need to stay with the 3/8"?
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

In my opinion,(I certainly don't know it all)
you might want to rethink trying to find bait in 8 to 10 foot of water--especially if all you're interested in is inshore bait. If you're going offshore and want fresh bait that's a different story.
I would focus on spots where the bait concentrate in 4' or less, especially up in sloughs where the net you already have can cover bank to bank. 8' and + water is also increasing your chances of snaring up the net on "square rocks" or any other number of things.
Like I said I certainly don't know it all, but you're also looking at starting to spend considerably more money on a net larger than 6 feet. You can always add weight to the net you already have as well,
Hope I didn't bring you down, new toys are always fun.
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

....My experience has been that a bigger mesh size will fall much faster than a smaller mesh with the same weight...I would assume this is because there is more surface area on a smaller mesh net and therefore more resistance encountered as the net settles....I would go up to the 1/2" mesh and don't go too far with the diameter(like waht you alreday said)...throwing a 10-12ft net is much more difficult than throwing a 6ft...My back still aches from netting shrimp in MS last year with a 10ft.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wxguy on 2002-02-26 6:33 pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wxguy on 2002-02-26 6:35 pm ]</font>
Pro24

Post by Pro24 »

Thanks. It is part new toy thing! But I have chumed up pinfish and seen pilchards hitting the top of the water in deeper water. And everytime I cast the smaller net smack dap on top of them they scoot out from underneath.

I fish with live bait most of the time and like a livewell full of 'em. Bigger net, less time hunting!
Pro24

Post by Pro24 »

WXGUY, that's my dilemma. I figure 1/2 will fall faster but will 1/2 catch the bait. I see and read about the big boys throwing large nets for redfish bait. What are they using? I know some have 1.5lbs per foot, but have never seen nor read what the mesh size is???
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

on 3/8 vs 1/2....

well do most of the menhaden you catch get gilled in the netting or do you catch them clean. Alternatively you could measure some next time you catch them. Sounds like loads of fun :grin:
let me know how it all turns out, I might just change my mind about the deeper water.
wxguy

Post by wxguy »

My bet is that you will be able to catch the same bait..incidentally, I have caught bait with my 6ft 3/4 in 15ft of water...if the bait is on the surface just close it mid way on the fall...menhayden and ale-wives are easy to catch like this as they tend to just swim straight ahead instead of under the net....