overturned boat

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

overturned boat

Post by JIm Smith »

Last Sunday afternoon at Cedar Key, we had 3 foot seas inside with the four foot wave not uncommon , off ottie key spotted an overturned k-yay with 2 people , at the time i was telling my family that we needed to go in, when we got there they were both cold and beat up pretty bad. we got them on board wrapped with with dry towels that we had on board got the yak on board and returned to the place where they had rented it, without any thank you from the rental place. this had been the womans first time out on a yak and get idea it might be the last. She was not very happy with her bpyfriend either. It is a shame that a rental outlet such as above would let someone with no experence go out in that type of conditions
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: overturned boat

Post by wevans »

Kudo's to you for saving these very fortunate folks :thumbup: but IMO, the rental folks are there to rent boats, not protect fools from doing foolish things! That being said, they should have at least thanked you for saving their yak :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I just think that the rental folks could have given them a little advise, they (boaters)could have stayed inside and spend the whole day where is was a whole safer, but I know that you are right about them being in the bussiness to make money and to give advise, and I know that some would not heed the advise if it were given
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Good on you for helping them.

Getting back into a rolled kayak is a skill that takes practice, it's often beyond people that aren't in them often. Good thing to try once in a while when you're out.