Gator Hunting?

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Squirm88

Gator Hunting?

Post by Squirm88 »

Looks like I will be gator huting for the first time this year. I was awarded a pair of tags for Leon County during pahse 1.

Having never been gator hunting is there any pointers some members would like to give?

I plan to attend the FWC training class. I assume with the Leon County tags I can hunt Lake Jackson, Carr Lake or the Leon County side of the Ochlockonee River. Is there anywhere else other than private property that I can use the tags? Not looking for anyones honey hole just some pointers so I don't get in trouble with FWC. I assume the low water levels in most of the lakes around here will be a factor as well.

Also is there anyone in the area that processes gator?
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Gator Hunting?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LAKE IAMONIA IS COVERED UP IN GATORS, YA MIGHT WANT TO TRY THERE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I believe that Lake Iamonia has its own quota tags which means I can't use my Leon County tags there. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

I don't know much about it, but a friend of mine lives on Lake Jackson. He has been hunting it hard for many years. He got this one last year. Heard they were slim pickings this year because of low water. This rain may have helped.

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You might want to take her.
Attachments
gator.jpg
gator.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
spooky
Site Sponsor

Post by spooky »

lake talquin is loaded with BIG gators please take em out :thumbup:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

My advice, Don't fall in!! :D
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Both Iamonia and Talquin are special units with specific tags. I believe you can add Lake Laffayette to your list if you can navigate it. I drew Leon County as well (the first week)
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Spooky hit the nail on the head when he said Talquin, launch at Coe's Landing go up the mouth of the Ock. river and pick one out. I was there 3 weeks and saw 3 or 4 that was well over 10 foot. Good Luck.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I assume St Marks Refuge is off limits, but if not, I can show you a few tidal creeks where 10 footers are way down the pecking order. Would be grateful if you could remove two 12 foot dinosaurs that often shadow me while I'm wading.