Alligator harbour

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luceror
Site Sponsor

Alligator harbour

Post by luceror »

Went to Ally gator harbour this past thursday. First time. Launched at the St. teresa sign off of 98, Fished the shoreline some looking for reds --nothin, Worked up to a couple of the docks --still nothin. Tghis was at high water. Saw a few birds working some a litle further towards the mouth and offshore. headed in that direction and came upon a niceflat the tide was starting to roll at of there by now and i came up on aspot where I could tell there was a change in bottom contour stopped to check iy out and saw a alot of glass minows all around me. But the anchor down and thru my cork/gulp rig out and down she went. Ended up w 4 nice trt. 16/17'". aloy of smaller fish to keep me busy for about an hr. or so and the I lost em. My anchor drug on me and I wasnt paying attetion cause I was busy! Im taking a marking bouy from bnow on(iv been saying that scince early this spring) Anyhow I was impressedfor my frst time there, I will definately be check ing it out somemore. Sounds like Im going back to baldpt as soon as possible. Wont be till WEns or thursday. Probably going back to the litehouse on tuesday. Me vand afriend wnt before the storm and did ok. 4 nice flnder ,3 nice trt, she landed a small cobia(released) we also had 4 keeper sea bass. We were arnd the first bars near the lite and the first bred nun bouy, it was BrEEZY that day.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator harbour

Post by silverking »

Sounds like you had a good day for your first time out, except for the kayak drifting part. You should invest in a reliable small boat anchor system. ;-)
luceror
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator harbour

Post by luceror »

Yea, I have about a4lb folding up "grappling anchor". Dont have any chain on it though. I dont know if that would help that style anchor hold better or not! what do u use? I have had this drag on me more than a couple times when I was on the fish. I like it for the oysterbars though!