bald Pt. today

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

luceror
Site Sponsor

bald Pt. today

Post by luceror »

Started fishing the oysterr bars that are alittle further out first. Hard ebb tide, around 7-30ish. I was troughing a topwater and then following that up w cork-gulp-piece of shrimp rig. Noyhin. moved to the more inshore bars near the pier, and picked up a nice red on the flaot rig. he must have been by his self. I weaved thru therest of the inshore bars ,fishing as Im going,nothin. I go across a large horseshoe shaped bar just alittle offshore and west of the fishing pier, use my paddle totell me when im clear of the oyster shells and droppedanchor. Started throwing a white gulp jig..now Im getting some bites!Iwas kinda inside the "horseshoe" of that bar. Caught 4 flounder almost back to back, 2 nof them were keepers. ended up w 2 decent flatfish .2 -20" reds and and 2 nice keeper trt.
When I first started using the jig it was almost allgoodfish,when floodtide started to roll the pins ,grunts and catfish showed up. Didnt see any shaRKS WHERE I was at.I did have something darn near as big as my kayak -11ft- slwim by between me and the bar, It looked like a hughe Sturgeon to me. Iv been fishing this big bend region 3yr. now and I havnt heard of any mention of Sturgeons!
Water was still very tainted,and no live shrimp in the whole area cause of the storm; that was the story this morning.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: bald Pt. today

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I DO NOT THINK THERE ARE MANY STURGEON IN THIS AREA, OVER IN THE APPALACHACOLA RIVER AND THE SEWANEE RIVER HAVE QUITE A FEW IN THEM.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Well I saw what I thought was a huge sturgeon, And untill u tmentrioned that some do exist around here, I was doubting my nown eyes. I was right there at the pier at bald point. Maybe all that fresh water had him out of his element. Im mostly from Va.,, XChesapeake bay and the Va. beach costline. Seen a few sturgeons over the years, mostly in the spring migrations down the coast. This however was the biggest one Iv ever seen. Going back in that direction tommorrow and see if I cancatch a flounder. Thanks for the comeback, that was the first mention of sturgwons scine Iv been down here and I spend as much time on the water as i can and have some good friends that do also and have never heard that fishs name. Thanks
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Probably a tarpon.
Stay Thirsty My Friends