Econfina Scallops

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Econfina Scallops

Post by rammerjammer »

Anyone try scallop hunting in Econfina this weekend?.Any luck? Just curious , planning a trip soon! :lick: :smt102
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Econfina Scallops

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THEY SAY THAT THERE ARE SEVERAL NICE SIZE GATORS HAVE BEEN DIVING FOR SCOLLOPS AROUND ECONFINA, KEEP AN EYE OUT AND DO NOT INVADE THE GATOR AREA.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Water at Aucilla was ridiculously dark yesterday. I can only imagine Econfina is the same. Finding them would be tough.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Did you catch some good fish,Rocket?
Flatsbroke
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

Was in Ecofina today. Water like tea. It would be hard to see scallops.

I got there about 6:30. A beautiful sunrise. By noon we (wife and me) had 8 trout and 1 red. Again, had to work hard as they were slow on the bite. Did have a thrill with a "tarpon" or "mackeral" or "something." He made three beauitifuil jumps before he exited the area rather swiftly leaving me with only an empty reel.
It was a pleasant day on the water. Wife outfished me today!!
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Daybreak wrote:Was in Ecofina today. Water like tea. It would be hard to see scallops.

I got there about 6:30. A beautiful sunrise. By noon we (wife and me) had 8 trout and 1 red. Again, had to work hard as they were slow on the bite. Did have a thrill with a "tarpon" or "mackeral" or "something." He made three beauitifuil jumps before he exited the area rather swiftly leaving me with only an empty reel.
It was a pleasant day on the water. Wife outfished me today!!
Flatsbroke
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

flatsbroke wrote:Did you catch some good fish,Rocket?
Got there late, and had some boat problems but managed one trout and one redfish.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

I went fishing on sunday got there about 9:30am, the water is very dark...I caught a couple trout most about 17 to 18in no reds mabe I got there to late. Can rocket or daybreak please please lead me in the right direction. I have heard several dif things like" fish only grass edges on high tide, fish the flats on a outgoing tide, and ive heard that its just too hot for reds but I hear of good reports still coming in.Any help would be very welcomed. As i have never caught a red on a artifical. Thanks guys in advance 8)
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Have caught plenty of reds during previous summers. Do find the bite a bit easier to chase during the spring/fall, but they're still there during the summer. Probably get different advice from every person you would ask, but my favorite artificial is absolutely a gold spoon. Need to know the lay of the land to be safe... that shared, what I like to do is move from oyster bar point to oyster bar point, slow/quiet drifting into them and tossing the spoon to see who I can find home and hungry. Rare that I can't at least find a red or two willing to jump in the grill, and sometimes have the luck to run into a school that will provide double-digit catching fun. Good luck. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

[quote][/quote]

As a reply,
Daybreak says,
I fish a lot of cut bait under CT . Cut into small pieces and float. If a fast drift put small lead to get it down near or in grass.
Or fish the white glow shrimp under CT. I fish 4 to 5 foot southeast of the mouth of the river a mile or two toward rock island.
DAYBREAK
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

rammerjammer wrote:Anyone try scallop hunting in Econfina this weekend?.Any luck? Just curious , planning a trip soon! :lick: :smt102
I'm looking forward to the scallops going away. Keaton had been a madhouse.
Team Jolly Mon
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

oreocwby wrote: Can rocket or daybreak please please lead me in the right direction. I have heard several dif things like" fish only grass edges on high tide, fish the flats on a outgoing tide, and ive heard that its just too hot for reds but I hear of good reports still coming in.Any help would be very welcomed. As i have never caught a red on a artifical. Thanks guys in advance 8)
Fish grass points, mouths of creeks (and up in the creeks depending the time of year), and while fishing bars or structure (rocks) be sure and cover the entire area...meaning don't just troll/float by a bar and throw at it. Cover all sides and then the immediate surrounding area. There is no secret bait or lure. I've caught them on spoons, jigs,spinners, & soft/hard baits, but rarely live bait as I hardly ever fish it (inshore).
I have no secret to tell you, but persistence will pay off.
Stay Thirsty My Friends