chatter baits?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

chatter baits?

Post by mbweimar »

anyone use them on the flats? i found a few in a tackle box in my barn that i forgot i had. several years ago i caught one of the biggest largemouth i've ever seen on one at piney-z. just curious if they work in saltwater too.

i love going through old fishing stuff :)
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Re: chatter baits?

Post by mjsigns »

It's always worth a try.. You might hookup with that old rouge 30" trout somewhere out there on the flats.... :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

When I was a young un, we fished the salt rarely. An elderly friend of the families told us to just use bass lures and we would catch trout. We caught them on everything, spinnerbaits, topwater, brokeback rapalas, even worm fishing. Ignorance was bliss but we caught fish.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There is actually a saltwater version of the Chatterbait. It has a soft plastic minnow body rather than a skirt. It will catch a red.
What was I supposed to do today?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

mbweimar wrote:anyone use them on the flats? i found a few in a tackle box in my barn that i forgot i had. several years ago i caught one of the biggest largemouth i've ever seen on one at piney-z. just curious if they work in saltwater too.

i love going through old fishing stuff :)
where do you put in at piney z? where is the best place to get to that lake? ha
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

I fish chatter bats reagularly for redfish. They work great.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
bman

Post by bman »

tin can wrote:There is actually a saltwater version of the Chatterbait. It has a soft plastic minnow body rather than a skirt. It will catch a red.
This man speaks truth...
And the freshwater version works just fine too...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Anky fish do not like chatter baits...of any kind! And most especially that BEDONKDONKRATTLEDONKTHATWON"TWALKTHEDOGDONK that everyone was talking about last couple of years. I bought one in the WalMart get rid of these quickly basket for 1.25 and the hooks rusted out on the third cast. :smt011
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

tin can wrote:There is actually a saltwater version of the Chatterbait. It has a soft plastic minnow body rather than a skirt. It will catch a red.
It will catch a lot of reds fished in rocky holes in tidal creeks in the winter time. :D

For this, any color will work as long as its red or brown.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i think ill take a couple out there with me next time i go. i wish i still had a pic of the bass i caught at piney z. that thing had to be 10+
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

setty, to answer your question, you have to go in through piney z plantation. its a subdivision near lincoln high school. all the way in the back is the park. its hand launch only, so its tough to get anything but a yak in there. i dont think they allow outboards either. ALSO, there are gators out there that are just as big as my 14ft jon boat...be very careful!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Saw the saltwater Chatterbiats at Walmart on hwy 90 east. Several colors, several weights, 1/8 oz, 1/4 oz and colors. The package indicates the bait is weed-less and when you bend the metal chatter-plate, you can change the depth the bait swims. The package says it the bait has it all, color, flash as wells as vibration. All this for about $6 a shot. This one looks like the fish would easily find it in murky water... The one I saw a Walmart had distinct eyes

Here is the one TC was referring to :
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Where is it made ??
setty7

Post by setty7 »

mbweimar wrote:setty, to answer your question, you have to go in through piney z plantation. its a subdivision near lincoln high school. all the way in the back is the park. its hand launch only, so its tough to get anything but a yak in there. i dont think they allow outboards either. ALSO, there are gators out there that are just as big as my 14ft jon boat...be very careful!
thanks man, i dont want to risk my life with the gators. any hints on other lakes in town that hold nice bass?
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

lake hall in maclay gardens holds HUGE bass, catfish, bluegill, ect. i've been fishing that lake for years, and still havent figured out any good patterns. the water is clear and deep, so your forced to use light line.