Flea market

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

Flea market

Post by Mister Mullet »

The North Florida Gulf Fishing Club is kicking around the idea of a Fishing and Boating Flea Market. The plan right now is to strike a deal with the folks at the Tallahassee Flea Market to get a bunch of stalls together so we can all be in one location. Don't know what a booth is going to cost. We're still working on that. Any interest among you readers? I for one have a ton of stuff I no longer need.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Re: Flea market

Post by lonesouth »

would be a good idea to offer consignment. Say I have a prop I need to sell, I drop off at the table with an asking and minimum price, and NFGFC gets a slice of the final price. It would alleviate the seller from having to sit at the flea market all day, and would generate some extra money for the club.
850-273-8818
JPVolunteer
Site Sponsor

Post by JPVolunteer »

I like it.
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

As someone that has had three kids play sports in high school, we were always looking at ways to raise money. Flea markets work great. Is the idea to raise money for the club or to just generate some activity from the existing members and non members? What might work is to find a big parking lot and the club charges a fee for the right to sell. You hold the event for only a few hours as no one wants to sit around all day selling their stuff. Make the theme a fishing swap meet where people can come buy, sell or trade their old stuff ( Ever fisherman I know has way more gear than they will ever use). Bikers have been holding swap meets forever and they are generally very successful. I for one would be more interested in going to a flea market with the chance of buying more un needed fishing stuff than one that has old baby equipment, un wanted lamps and a bunch of cloths from the 70's. Use this board and other services to promote it and sell sodas and hot dogs to generate some additional capital. You may also ask people to donate items to be sold at the flea market and all the money generated from the sale of those items will also contribute to your bottom line. Set up a consignment booth for those that want to try and sell that one item. Start the thing around 8AM and be done with it by noon. Have some drawing and/or give aways as well. People that like going to flea markets go and finish early. Just my thoughts!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Mister Mullet wrote:Any interest among you readers?
Yeah, I'd prolly show up.

I like the idea of a swap meet, too. Maybe the parking lot behind Kevin's (beside Beall's).
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

The intent of this is more of a swap meet for members and not to raise money for the club. We've kicked around the idea of having one table for stuff donated that will pay for the table rentals and any extra would probably go to the club. As I understand it, the club really can't make much money, for tax reasons. If it does, it must be spent in an approved way. As for having it in a parking lot, then you run into permits, liabilities, etc. Anyway, it's still in the planning stages.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

If the intent is to "swap" fishing gear why not use a monthly meeting as a swap meet? With alcohol as fuel and food nearby along with good nature folks foisting their cast offs on to others it has all the makings of a fine evening in an air conditined mosquito free enviorment. Our usual raffle can go off as normal with evey swapper donating a fishing related item to the collective pot.