FWC in Carrabelle

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

FWC in Carrabelle

Post by Tidedancer »

This weekend is the C-quarter's King Fish Shootout and the city is busting with folks spending money and helping out our sluggish economy here and it's greatly appreciated (and needed).
First let me state that I have not had speeding ticket or FWC type violation in over 35 years so there in no grunge here with this rant. But something needs to be done with some of the folks over at FWC. They are getting way out of hand.
Here is what sparked this post.
While fishermen were out looking for bait the 2 or 3 days before the tournament they were constantly checked by FWC, some were checked every day. OK I can see that is what they do and they are doing their job.
But the first day of the tournament an FWC officer was out running our state property at WOT out pass "S" tower and stopping these 200 and 300 thousand dollar boats for safety checks. He was checking every boat he could find out 30 and 40 miles offshore. Who is this idiot?
But here is the real kicker. While this nut (see idiot) was out wasting our tax money 40 miles offshore a intoxicated sail boat captain (under sail) ran into the Miss Baby (Russell's boat). When the FWC office on Timber Island was called to assist in this event they were told the office was not staffed that day. Another boat from Virginia clearly overloaded with 11 people in a 18 foot Carolina Skiff was running up and down the river at half throttle and pushing a large wake and causing a lot of boat rocking. Where is the FWC when you need them. In the evening when the tournament boats are coming in the river the FWC was set up there and pulling over boats for safety checks.
Now one would think that the city of Carrabelle and or Franklin county elected officials would have talked to the FWC and explained that these visitors to our city and county are here as guest and we appreciate the time and money they will spend here. I would think that a lot of them will think about the harassment they received here and choose to go somewhere else. I really don't blame them. As a resident of Franklin county I am ashamed of our law enforcement here. Something needs to be done with these out of control officers.
SeaBiscuit

Re: FWC in Carrabelle

Post by SeaBiscuit »

We were eating at the Fish Camp yesterday. Watched FWC pull over everybody on the river, including some dude going too fast and creating a wake. Funny thing was that he was creating a huge wake with his FWC CC with twin Yammies running around chasing everyone. I would say that each stop was quick, so as long as he is polite, efficient and professional I am ok with it. Glad they are out there.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

SeaBiscuit wrote:We were eating at the Fish Camp yesterday. Watched FWC pull over everybody on the river, including some dude going too fast and creating a wake. Funny thing was that he was creating a huge wake with his FWC CC with twin Yammies running around chasing everyone. I would say that each stop was quick, so as long as he is polite, efficient and professional I am ok with it. Glad they are out there.
Evidently you did not read the whole tread.
I don't have a problem with the FWC in the river. Why was an officer 40 miles offshore stopping tournament boats with 4 to 5 lines out for a safety check? See (idiot). Now if you are glad that officer was out there, then you are not as smart as I thought you were.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sounds like the hotshot that transferred there from WCSO.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Does FWC even have any powers past 9 or 12 miles out? Just wondering how far before international law takes hold.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Sounds like the hotshot that transferred there from WCSO.
That would be a very good guest Steve.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Sounds like the hotshot that transferred there from WCSO.
Winner, winner, Chicken dinner.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

I was a state worker till i retired so i would like the job of finding waste in state gov.... The persons Found wasting our tax dollars would be sent them packing.. But then i would be scared Y would FIRE nearly 80 % of all state workers and start rehiring people that wanted to really work for their pay\ :D salute3 Remember i was a state worker so I do know waste when see it :D
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

TD :thumbup: :thumbup:
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Does the FWC have the power to patrol past the state line? Are the Feds or the Coast Guard contracting with the FWC to do this patrolling? It sounds like they have enough to keep them busy inside of 12 miles. If the Feds or CC is asking the only boat to patrol 40 miles out who do you call in a situation like the drunk sail boat running into a boat?

It sure seems like the situation of a large tournament could have been handled better by FWC. Couldn't they do safety checks before they launch? That would be much safer and convenient. I doubt a big dollar tournament boat crew is going to be found negligent on their safety gear anyway.
Last edited by Rhettley on August 5th, 2012, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Regular occurance in St. Marks. I have been checked 5 times in the same day. Kind of overkill if you ask me. The last time I was checked I asked him if he minded to take a picture of my catch for me. However, why do you find it offensive to be checked off shore. People have been known to stash their catch before returning to the river.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Next time you think you are going to get pulled for a safety check, take a picture as they approach your boat wait till you can see the whites of their eyes (when they are within facial recognition range). Remember, we live in a "free country", and they are in a public place so this is perfectly legal. If you want to be kind, ask them first. If they allow you to take their picture, that should be an indicator of what kind of person he (sometimes she) is. The will always ask what you are going to do with the picture, you can tell them that it is just to document the encounter, and the picture will likely just be deleted later. If know you have nothing to hide and you are not interfering with them carrying out their duties, you are within your rights to snap a picture or two, or even video the stop. This is the friendly officer that stopped me over in Spring Creek a few years ago. (of all the places, I would have never expected them to be there where I was fishing on one of MY Fishing holes)

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:Regular occurance in St. Marks. I have been checked 5 times in the same day. Kind of overkill if you ask me. The last time I was checked I asked him if he minded to take a picture of my catch for me. However, why do you find it offensive to be checked off shore. People have been known to stash their catch before returning to the river.
Sea Rider you seem to miss the point here. What was a state boat doing out 30 plus miles for safety checks? Unless he is a complete moron he knew what these fishermen were doing and that was they were trying to catch a large King-fish. If this officer was worried about the safety of the crews on board he should have checked them in the river or bay before they left. No this was plain as the nose on your face harassment. C-Quarters Marine was having a charity tournament to raise money for Leukemia. They were NOT having this event for profit and the community should stand behind an effort like this. But this officer did not see it that way I guess.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

They have federal authority offshore via an agreement with NOAA and receive funding for same. Why offshore during a tournament is probably like asking why a bank robber goes to a bank... Cause that is where the money is. I suspect the funding agreement requires a number of activities/stops/safety checks/tickets etc.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've never dealt with FWC and a saltwater tournament, but when we put on a bass tournament we coordinate with FWC. We do safety and regulatory checks when the boats are launched on the day of the tournament. If the boat passes the check it is marked. If the boat doesn't pass the check it isn't allowed to launch until it passes. With that done, the FWC doesn't bother our tournament boats unless they have reason to think a boat is not legal.

I would think C-Quarters has run enough tournaments that they would coordinate with FWC. In this instance, if they did coordinate with FWC, the officer(s) should be held accountable.
What was I supposed to do today?