Academy Sports

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Re: Academy Sports

Post by reelbad »

Academy sports has two well known employees, Otto Hough and JR Mundinger. JR is in the freshwater section and Otto is in the saltwater. Otto told me he was only part time so he would still have time to fish. Also ran into Michael Aman while looking through the fishing section.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I'm holding of "judgement" until I go into the place and see for myself. Got a flyer in the mail with some generic discount that eluded but anything but "Fishing". :-?
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
haliaetus

Post by haliaetus »

ditto to Tide Dancer!
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

do they have fly tying materials like sw had ?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FHC wrote:do they have fly tying materials like sw had ?

Didn't see any, FHC, but I may have missed it.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

thanks capt dave
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Ok - I went there this morning and had trouble finding a parking spot big enough for my truck. Made it inside and found the employees were nice. The store looks small from the outside, but it's almost the size of Wal-Mart. They had a good bit of tackle, and I found personal favorite 1/8oz "Bass Assassin" jig heads that keep your gulp attached. They had a bunch of Gulps and some are on "clearance" for $4.99. They had some Gulps I have never seen before, and even a $45 bucket full of Gulps, kind of like the $20 bucket, but larger. They had a bunch of boating stuff as well as range deep-cycle batteries, fish finders VHS radios and other boating electronics. I did not like being there with 1/2 of Tallahassee in the store. They had an entire isle devoted to just ammo. Their prices were all over the road, some items were over-priced, and others were very reasonable. The jury is still out, will they last, will sales remain strong enough to keep the store in business? Will I go back... It's possible.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.