Academy Sports

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Re: Academy Sports

Post by JIm Smith »

You would think a place like Gainsville would have more to offer , we have a Gander in Ocala but other than that Wally world is the next best thing. It,s either go to Jax or orlando or St Agustine . The old Tackel box closed and Gary opened up a new place ,great guy but not munch inventory. I have said this to say that it's not any better here in Gainsville. I have always wanted to have an Amway for fishing and hunting
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:I HAVE SEEN THE ADD'S ON T/V ABOUT THE GRAND OPENING OF THE STORE BUT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU WHERE THE STORE IS LOCATED, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS NEW STORE IS LOCATED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
PA
SOUTH FORTY
SEMPER FI
Pa the Academy sports store is on Mahan Drive aprox 1/4 mile east of Capital Circle.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Went by the new Gander in Valdosta today. In my opinion, their gun prices are way to high! Ammo too! Got my Glocks cheaper from Heath at South Georgia Outdoors.

I agree on doing local business with local folks when you can.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY REELBAD, THANKS FOR THE LOCATION, APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH. I MIGHT GET BY THERE WHEN I GO TO THE VETERANS CLINIC NEXT MONTH.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Rhettley wrote:There is NOTHING in Moultrie. Walmart is pitiful. We do have one little bait and tackle that carries a decent selection of lures and a small gun store. Cairo is about 45 minutes away and really out of my way driving and I try to avoid Albany these days. Valdosta is a whole lot closer that Tallahassee for me. I went in the Gander Mountain store yesterday and it was pretty good. They could make some small changes in what they carry. I liked the fact that they don't clutter up the store with a bunch of Chinese made low end knock off junk like BPS does. The gun section is probably the biggest I've ever been in. With Gander and Academy it will sure be nice for me not to have to make the long drive to Tallahassee.

That said, I'll shop a local owned store first if they have what I want and price it reasonably. What and where are the local fishing and hunting stores in Valdosta? I've been in the marine store in front of the mall and they had a fair selection but were extremely expensive. I've not noticed a decent hunting or fishing store while in town and an internet search didn't reveal anything.
In Valdosta we have several locally owned stores. T3 outdoors (on Perimeter Rd. near older Walmart) and Paradise Fishing (Castle Park shopping center off of Bemis) are the two main ones that I go by when I get to go by any of them. There are a couple of gun shops around too.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Rhettley wrote:Both Academy and Gander Mountain have had very successful stores in other parts of GA and FL for a good while now so they know the market. I'm just excited to be able to drive 30 minutes instead of well over an hour.
According to the sign and online, this is the FIRST Gander in Georgia. I had to go that way last night and the parking lot was packed. They have NO sales at this point, so I guess this is just curiosity seekers or rich folk.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I meant as a combination they have stores in both states. Gander has stores in Fl and Academy in both. The Academy stores in Macon and Augusta are nice.

I tried to shop local this morning in Thomasville. I meant to pick up a couple of Skitterwalks while in Gander and forgot to so I stopped by the pool store in Thomasville that has the hunting and fishing section attached. They were about $9 per Skitterwalk, well over $2 higher on the lure than Gander, which is more than I was willing to pay. They did get $20 out of me for a reel cleaning and repair.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Jeffry50 wrote:Having shopped at Academy in both Mobile and Pensacola, I can assure you it will be stocked for this area. Also, it's prices will be extremely competitive. I would prefer to shop local but the customer service, or lack there of, that I've experienced at local stores is laughable. It also seems like there's an unwritten rule that most of the prices will automatically be above the retail cost. I'm excited about Academy moving in.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Just went by - packed out as expected for opining day - great selection. Much better than SW. HUGE store.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Rhettley, if you go the Valdosta way stop in Adel at Adel Outfiiters or go see Jud at T3. You will get good service at both or come to Cairo! :D I want everyone on this site to realize this site is ran off of site sponsors and you will never see an Academy or Gander sponsor us. Shop local with people like Kevin's and South Georgia Outdoors. :thumbup:
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Just got back as well. Had to drive around the lot a couple times before I parked in the other area by Publix that hasn't opened yet.

It is a huge store and was loaded with shoppers. Almost as many salespeople. Saw a couple folks from the forum.

Quick peek at the gun counter (too crowded) and nice marine/camping sections. Great selection of terminal tackle, saltwater lures and moderate priced rods/reels. Also have a lot of kayak stuff. Checked out the labels on many items--Made in China (not that that's unusual anywhere else these days, unfortunately).

I'll continue to shop with local stores/site sponsors unless they happen to be suing to overturn the net ban, in which case I'll never step foot inside. But Texas-based Academy is a big supporter of Coastal Conservation Association and they are employing local folks, so I'll patronize them on occasion. The only MLB team gear they're carrying is the Atlanta Braves, so they won big points with me for that decision, too. :wink:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Went today as well. As others have Already noted, a big place. Lots of lures and accs but short on rods beyond basic versions. Kevin's has a much better selection of higher quality rods and reels and since shimano rarely discounts, prices are probably the same. I saw a lot of carts overflowing so people are buying. I purchased a couple of cedar planks for the grill.
That's all.
Ej

Sk:
You mean you aren't going to stop by RFC in Panacea? :smt007
Can't believe the same old names are still around : Ronald Fred, Mowry, Glogau, and now Roy Williams gone over to the dark side. Roy was always, well, . . . . :hammer: even when he was working for the commission.

EJ
Warrior
Site Sponsor

Post by Warrior »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
CairoTrout wrote:Rhettley, if you go the Valdosta way stop in Adel at Adel Outfiiters or go see Jud at T3. You will get good service at both or come to Cairo! :D I want everyone on this site to realize this site is ran off of site sponsors and you will never see an Academy or Gander sponsor us. Shop local with people like Kevin's and South Georgia Outdoors. :thumbup:
Warrior Inshore Charters
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Sk:
You mean you aren't going to stop by RFC in Panacea? :smt007
Can't believe the same old names are still around : Ronald Fred, Mowry, Glogau, and now Roy Williams gone over to the dark side. Roy was always, well, . . . . :hammer: even when he was working for the commission."

Ed,
Only when it's snowing in Hades. Won't be patronizing a certain navigational beacon seafood shop in St. Marks, either.

I can't believe the courts will even accept suits after they have been litigated so many times previously. Was very disappointed to learn of Roy's involvement. Maybe they're paying him in poached mullet.

It would be sweet justice if the courts ruled that two-inch stretched mesh is also banned by the amendment. That would only leave true seines or cast nets, which is what we should have insisted on originally.

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to derail the thread. But after being in the fish war trenches for so long, it's hard to ignore the latest pathetic shenanigins by idiots.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Warrior wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
CairoTrout wrote:Rhettley, if you go the Valdosta way stop in Adel at Adel Outfiiters or go see Jud at T3. You will get good service at both or come to Cairo! :D I want everyone on this site to realize this site is ran off of site sponsors and you will never see an Academy or Gander sponsor us. Shop local with people like Kevin's and South Georgia Outdoors. :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
One thumb up on you Warrior.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?