NFGFC Tourny boat sunk

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: NFGFC Tourny boat sunk

Post by Steve Stinson »

It's a 17 foot aluminum Monark with a jet-foot Mercury. When it gets too rough for me, I can normally run the shoreline back by staying between where the waves are breaking and the dry land, but Saturday's tide was so high that they were rolling all the way to the steep part of the bank.

- Steve
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I would imagine the purpose behind not notifying others vessels in the area who might be able to assist would be for liability reasons. Does it make it right...no, but if they requested the help of a civilian vessel to rescue this guy and it went wrong and made the situation worse I suppose that could be worse. Not notifying Coast Guard stationed in Carraabelle makes no sense.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Tidedancer wrote:Well folks, here is the web page to find the field operations weekly report for FWC officers. Go to Franklin county and see what the Hero has to say about this event.
http://myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/le/weekly-reports/
This is a bi-weekly report which is turned into the local commander for their district. Let's see if the commander will post this report. Or trys to hide the fact that it took them 1 and a half hours to get to this boat.
It didn't make this weeks report it seems.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Was alcohol a factor ?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

mjsigns wrote:Was alcohol a factor ?
NO he does not drink alcohol. Most of us don't at 8 a.m.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Jumptrout51 wrote:
NO he does not drink alcohol. Most of us don't at 8 a.m.[/quote

I wouldn't either in a slot Tournament!!!!
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Well... hmmm no one had asked "the question" so I did. I am not poking fun at a serious situation. I would be sick to my stomach if it had been me. I had to ask. It kind of makes one curious. :wink:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

This thread started out by giving info on one of our club members sinking his boat. It has turned into a bashing of our state law enforcement FWC and any one else in authority. It just seams that some folks have bad feelings for our FWC officers and anyone else in authority. We have had them (FWC) attend our NFGFC meetings several times and they have always tried to give out the best info possible on safety, regulations, required equipment etc. At the end of the meeting they have always stayed on hand to answer any questions about anything that has to do with their job. I would suggest that if you need questions answered about FWC SOP then I would give them a call or attend a work shop and voice my concerns. Who knows, you might get something changed that isn't to your liking. Oh and one more thing, RELAX life is short, go fish, be happy.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I think that you are mistaken, if you feel that we are "bashing our state law enforcement FWC and any one else in authority"!! We are "I am anyhow" questioning the procedure that the officer in question followed/didn't follow! If you feel that is bashing all law enforcement, then you have a very narrow veiw of things!!!! I give em hell when they deserve it, and give em kudos when they deserve it! I DO NOT blindly except that they are doing their best or the correct thing :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

wevans wrote:I think that you are mistaken, if you feel that we are "bashing our state law enforcement FWC and any one else in authority"!! We are "I am anyhow" questioning the procedure that the officer in question followed/didn't follow! If you feel that is bashing all law enforcement, then you have a very narrow veiw of things!!!! I give em hell when they deserve it, and give em kudos when they deserve it! I DO NOT blindly except that they are doing their best or the correct thing :beer: :beer:
Thanks Waldo for clearing everything up, I sure feel better now about how things are supposed to be. Have a great day.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Luckily, the officer in question would undoubtedly still launch his boat and risk his life to save yours one day........in spite of your low opinion of him.

As he lifts you out of the water be sure to tell him what an idiot he was for taking so long.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I must say that y'alls blind loyalty to law enforcement is to be commended :thumbup: and I have no doubt that if I ever should need the officer in question to save my life, he would eventually do so! I have no opinion of the officer, I do question his actions in this case and have no problem with those who don't care for my questioning of his actions. I have worked for law enforcement and have kin who are in law enforcement, but that doesn’t change the fact that they do make bad judgment calls and I will never hesitate to point out what I feel is a bad call! I will happily type out an apology to the officer if I am proven to have been to harsh on this subject. But until then, I stand by everything that I have stated in these post!!

Y'all have a great day also :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

snatch-n-reel wrote:
Jumptrout51 wrote:
NO he does not drink alcohol. Most of us don't at 8 a.m.[/quote

I wouldn't
either in a slot Tournament!!!![/quot
I'm calling BS on that I know you and first you have to fish a slot tournament :-D
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

rocket wrote:
Tidedancer wrote:Well folks, here is the web page to find the field operations weekly report for FWC officers. Go to Franklin county and see what the Hero has to say about this event.
http://myfwc.com/about/inside-fwc/le/weekly-reports/
This is a bi-weekly report which is turned into the local commander for their district. Let's see if the commander will post this report. Or trys to hide the fact that it took them 1 and a half hours to get to this boat.
It didn't make this weeks report it seems.
And it may not show up at all. The FWC states in the beginning of the reports that these are "some, but not all" actions taken by FWC officers for that time frame.

I'm not sure the commander for the Carrabelle unit will want this posted. He and he alone is the one responsible for the area and having only one boat on duty. It's not the officer that went to the rescue, who was late getting to the fishermen s fault.
There has been a lot of hot air posted about this event and I stand by what I have already said. It was handled badly. Thank God that the fishermen was saved and returned to the hill with little more than a wet butt and a bruised ego.
I do not hate the FWC or people with authority but I do hate to see a mediocre performance when life's are on the line. With the budget and the personal that the FWC has, this is unforgivable. Someone needs to be held accountable for this and the people of Franklin county deserve to hear what is being done to safeguard against another event like this happening.
Bob Hoelzle

Post by Bob Hoelzle »

Well, I'm the dummy who made the bad decision to cross the bay in a 16 foot Stumpknocker when I knew the winds were going to be 15 - 20 from the southeast. Thought I could make it, looking at the 2 - 2 1/2 foot seas at the mouth of the Carabelle. Expected there to be calm water in the lee of St. George's - didn't happen. High tide and only 2' of island sticking out didn't block much wind. Was within 1/3 of a mile from the island when I swamped. As far as the FWC goes, you guys who criticize are entirely out of line. The closest boat they had in the water was in the Ochlochnee, they had to get down to the office, launch and run out to find me. Don't know that I could have gotten there any quicker if it was myself. And the officer, after picking me up, volunteered to call Sea Tow, and stay with my boat in an approaching squall. Sea Tow was on a run to Dog Island with an ETA of 1 hour to get to us. FWC captain stayed with my boat until the squal was imminent, then headed back. Ran into Sea Tow two miles later, gave him an idea of where the boat was, Sea Tow braved the weather but couldn't find it. I found out Monday that the FWC captain went back out the next day to look for my boat. That's what I call above and beyond the call of duty! And Russell (Sea Tow) did also. Monday I also found out that a Seargant in the Sheriff's office had launched his own private boat a little after the FWC officer, and went out in that, by now, 5 - 6 foot sea, looking for me. These guys are heros, FWC saved my life, and I'll be indebted to them as long as I live. Great folks, all! Bob