Does, Does, Does

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

oreocwby

Does, Does, Does

Post by oreocwby »

Opening day of bow season was a hot one. I dnt see any movement that morning but that evening 15mins before dark I had a big body Doe and a button buck come in and sniff around.As I pretend they were trophys by drawing back and aming several times quietly to see how stealthy I could be I noticed out of my peripheral a large group of does about ten with their yearlings. I was confused because a few of the mature does ran off the first set of deer that had came in(Mama doe and her button baby). I just watced and hoped to get a shot. O well always this Sat.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Does, Does, Does

Post by Gulf Coast »

You should've shot the big doe with the button buck.
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

This sat I got to my stand a little late about 7:05am or so.The sun had already began to show itself. I climbed up my latter stand and notice my C'mere deer soaked corn had been chowed to the max. With hopeful intensions I sat and waited very patiently. I saw nothing but two limb rats playing around. BY 8:30 am the 98.99% deet spray I bought had ovbiously worn off because by 9am I was outta the stand. Couldnt stay any longer. It looked as though I had lepersey with all the knots and lumps I had on my head and neck.

I went back out that evening actually getting to my stand in a good amount of time. I sat up about 6pm and sat awaiting my chance to draw back. I should have brought my climber due to the fact my stand is facing the west.(what a dumb mistake) I couldnt hardly see and I was sweating like a Lady of the night in a sunday morning service. The sun was literlay shinnin down right on me. 7:38 pm had a cow horn spike and two or three does come in, but I chose not to draw because it was getting dark quick and I belive in a ethical shot. Their was no way I was gonna attempt a almsot blind shot knowing by the time I could track em (thats if didnt run to far) plus the cleanning time, and I didnt want to miss them AWSOME NOLES whoop up on Clemson. So maybe I choked but they will be out their another day. Mabe I'll get my chance next hunt. I'm sure lookin forward to some jerkey and sausage.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

You saw a lot of deer so you have picked a good area. Adjust your stand for the sun and wind and buy a thermacell. They actually work.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

and buy a thermacell.........and a camera
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

I third that Thermacell recomendation, they do work very well.
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

My younger cousin has one. He just bought it this year. I think im going to try it too. I hear that the mist isnt sent proof tho. I have some truly wild deer. They dont wait to see whats thier.They go wit thier nose. When I live on Horseshoe Plantation (a 14,000 quail plantation) those deer would walk right to ya. Those were the good ol days
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I don't deer hunt, but I turkey hunt. No smellers on the birds. But I have had plenty of deer in bow range, when sitting on the ground. If the wind is wrong, they will defintely avoid the thermacell. I watched a doe at about 100 yards in a field and I figured about where my scent was being blown by the breeze. When she hit that line, up went her head and she ran off blowing. I can't use DEET, but would think that would be every bit as bad as a thermacell. I would also think thermcall smoke would rise a little better and not be too bad in a tree stand. You'll just have to watch the breeze.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?