Why do mullet jump?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Why do mullet jump?

Post by Flats Rascal »

Just curious. :D
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Either no one knows or wants to venture a guess.... or it was a really stoopid question. :oops:

My guess it either has something to do with escaping predators or some sort of need for more oxygen.

I dunno.
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

Over the years there have been numerous theories concerning the leaping of mullet. There seems to be two categories of leaping: predator avoidance and aerial respiration.

Leaping to avoid predators usually involves more than one fish jumping simultaneously, retaining an upright posture and entering the water cleanly.

The second type of leaping involves a single fish that does a slower, shorter leap, often flipping onto its side or even onto its back. They may also roll at the surface or move with their head above the water.

The research of Hoese (1985) suggests that Sea Mullet (view factsheet) use this second category of movements to fill the pharyngobranchial organ (an area at the back of the throat) with air.

The trapped air is believed to allow the fish to remain active in water of low oxygen concentration for about 5 minutes.

Several interesting lines of evidence support this theory. The number of jumps is correlated with the concentration of oxygen in the water. The less oxygen, the more jumps.

Secondly, Sea Mullet feed during the day often in bottom sediments that have low oxygen concentrations. Jumping occurs much more commonly during the day. Sea Mullet rarely jump at night.

Leave the Australian Museum Fish Site and view an image of a mullet leaping at San Elijo Lagoon, San Diego County.

Further reading:

Hoese, H.D. 1985. Jumping mullet - the internal diving bell hypotheses. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 13(4): 309-314.
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Thanks a bunch, Gator!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I was gonna say that but GoneGator beat me to it. :o Yeah right! :wink: I really would have said, they jump to get out of the water. 8)
Semper Fi
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

Well I'm only taking credit for being curious and a Google search myself.........
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

There are two other possible reasons; :thumbup:

1) Fish often jump/roll to remove lice, or similar parasites from their scales, or gills.

2) Because they can. :D
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Ifin' you snneeek up on Mullet and pop a paper bag in his ear. I betcha he will jump. :-D
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

probably the mullet that jump every time they think something is fixing to eat them live longer and have more little mullet
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I thought it was so people can post trout were jumping everywhere :o :smt042 .....Kinda like the cows eating, fish are biting(jawja thing), I say if the mullet are happy and jumping, the fish are in the mood.... :wink: :thumbup:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

When I was Director of Marine Resources we used to have a specific designated person who would take all "mullet jumping" questions. There were always the possibles about parasites, etc., but, more or less, the answer given was "because they feel like it".

:-D

EJ
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The water around here is usually so dark I think they jump to see where they are going. :lol:
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

They jump when they're happy. I thought everybody knew this. :lol: