COBIA

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Parrothead

COBIA

Post by Parrothead »

ANYBODY STILL CATCHING THEM?
Parrothead
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: COBIA

Post by culrich »

Yes, we have had 4-5 over 40 pounds and half a dozen 30-40s come in over the past week or so in Lanark. A guy last week caught one of the biggest I have ever seen, I would say close to 85 pounds. I caught about a 40 pounder a week ago as well.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Definitely still here... landed and tagged a short yesterday south of Aucilla and lost several bigger ones to cutoffs. That shared, you want to get one I would say HURRY. Have the feeling we're already entering the back end of the migration and just a week or so before the resident ones head for deeper water / non-resident cobes finish their travels through.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

SaltyGator and I saw a few biggun's in the east flats during the "Take a kid Fishing" event...
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

CaptReelThyme wrote:SaltyGator and I saw a few biggun's in the east flats during the "Take a kid Fishing" event...
We sure did. It was strange behavior. There were two, around barely keeper size or maybe just short. They were in 4' of water and swimming in circles on their sides. Their pectoral fins were sticking out of the water. Never saw a cobe act like that. Crazy
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

culrich wrote:Yes, we have had 4-5 over 40 pounds and half a dozen 30-40s come in over the past week or so in Lanark. A guy last week caught one of the biggest I have ever seen, I would say close to 85 pounds. I caught about a 40 pounder a week ago as well.
Now exactly where would this cobia fishing hotspot be located if I might ask? :-D. BTW I don't need a 40 or better, a simple 30 would do just fine. I have been fishing a long time and at 63 I have only caught 1 keeper cobe. I will have to say they are one of my favorite fish to put on the grill.
big bend gyrene

reelbad wrote:Now exactly where would this cobia fishing hotspot be located if I might ask? :-D. BTW I don't need a 40 or better, a simple 30 would do just fine. I have been fishing a long time and at 63 I have only caught 1 keeper cobe. I will have to say they are one of my favorite fish to put on the grill.
Reelbad, LOTS of spots to catch them dependably! Buoy markers, birdracks, all the area reefs, and natural rocky bottom ALL draw them.

In 8 trips out this year pulled at least 20 into my boat, Marine's Dream, BUT the problem is that it's come at the cost of trout and redfishing, as I've found that to REALLY catch them EACH trip takes LOTS of dedication and more importantly patience. Some days, like the one where Dolpinatic, his friend Raymond, and I counted 15 and boated 8 it seems like a CRAZY good payoff. Other days like this Wednesday where I'm cursing from multiple cutoffs, costly loss gear, and only a single short all day I question my sanity in trading off for bigger numbers of trouts & reds. If you're mainly fishing trouts &/or reds and want to keep doing so, just be sure to ALWAYS have a pin floating way out the back to snag cruising cobes. Bet you'll get a few more every year. If you don't mind devoting a trip or two a year to focused cobia efforts, pick a structure, visit it between May and October and park on it ALL DAY and you have real good odds of getting another cobe. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

reelbad wrote:
culrich wrote:Yes, we have had 4-5 over 40 pounds and half a dozen 30-40s come in over the past week or so in Lanark. A guy last week caught one of the biggest I have ever seen, I would say close to 85 pounds. I caught about a 40 pounder a week ago as well.
Now exactly where would this cobia fishing hotspot be located if I might ask? :-D. BTW I don't need a 40 or better, a simple 30 would do just fine. I have been fishing a long time and at 63 I have only caught 1 keeper cobe. I will have to say they are one of my favorite fish to put on the grill.
Not sure where all of the others were caught. Mine came off the O tower, we were on our way to S about 6:30pm for a night time black snapper trip. We saw birds all around the tower so we swung over to check it out. The cobe was crusing on top so I tossed a DOA bait buster at him and he crushed it. Caught him on a 4000 Shimano Spinning. :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Stop bragging. Its' not nice.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

You want me to post some pictures? :wink:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
eatsleepfish

Post by eatsleepfish »

Not sure if this is the beast that Culrich mentioned above, but I boated this one out of Lanark 10/05 and I estimate it was pushing 80 lbs. It was 54" to the fork and had a huge girth which I made the mistake of not measuring. We have been catching quite a few in the 40-50 lb. range the last couple of weeks when the weather has allowed us to get offshore.

reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Thanks for the advise fellas, BBG is right, I have not been targeting the cobia and just hoping to pick one up while trout fishing which is the way I caught the one that I did. I caught it a few years ago while fishing with JT and One Keeper on Jt's old pontoon boat.
big bend gyrene

reelbad wrote:Thanks for the advise fellas, BBG is right, I have not been targeting the cobia and just hoping to pick one up while trout fishing which is the way I caught the one that I did. I caught it a few years ago while fishing with JT and One Keeper on Jt's old pontoon boat.
So you were with JT? No more need be said, that explains everything! :wink: :lol: Only question I have is whether it's true he serves banana sandwiches and 'nanner pudding on board his boat?! :smt005
big bend gyrene

And Eatsleepfish, I BEG you... PLEASE post a report! Can't show a pic like that and not tell the story of the fight!!! :thumbup: :email: salute1