Opening weekend with my son....my 1st double!

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Opening weekend with my son....my 1st double!

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I always look forward to the opening of rifle season. Especially now that my son goes with me all the time. Monday of this week I got to watch him take a nice young buck. It was so awesome! Now he is raedy to take a big one. So saturday morning we were settled in the stand at 6:30 and watched a beautifull morning unfold. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Did not see anything that morning but a quail and a couple of crows. We sat again that evening but nothing showed up for us. Hunted again sunday before church and was amazed that we had heard not 1 rifle shot all weekend. It was kind of warm when we headed down to the stand for the evening hunt. There was also more breeze than there had been all weekend but it was in a good direction. We are hunting a foodplot that is bordered on the right by old planted pines. Behind us is fallow field with volunter and some planted pines. To the left and beyond the plot is mature hardwoods. Not much happend all afternoon. We knew that someone was hunting nextdoor and talked that due to the wind direction that they may inadvertently drive deer to us. I texted my friend Daniel(who was hunting in Worth county) to see if he had seen anything at 7:13. My son and I were talking in softly and I heard something to the left...I said "shhhh" he stopped talking and said I hear it too. Then a buck steps out from the treeline. We had talked earlier that if a buck came out I would pick up his rifle and see what it was. If it was a 4 on 1 side or bigger(he already has his anysize buck) and if it was I would hand it to him and get my rifle up to back him up. Well I get his rifle up and see that it is a buck I wanted to shoot for meat. I tell my son it is the real "Hamburger"(or name for him from the game camera) and he says "get him". So I mouth grunt at him and he stops......BOOM .222 drops him in his tracks with a neck shot. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us It is now 7:18. He yells "Way to go dad!" and we high 5. I was not even going to cycle in another shell. But the deer is kicking a little so I do and he stop moving. I put the rifle down and text Daniel that I got 1, it is now 7:19. We start to gather up our stuff to get down and I tell my son that something is coming. He is standing up as the 2nd buck steps out. As soon as he sees it he sits as I'm getting the gun up. I'm hoping that it is one of the bigger bucks for him to take. I see that it is a young 8 and tell him he can take it. He says that he is too excited and nervous to shoot it. He tells me to get it and I tell him that we should let it walk. But he says I want you to get him....How can you resist a request like that. While this is going on the buck has cleared the wood line from between 2 persimmon trees. He stepped out a few steps and looks at his fallen comrad then keeps heading out into the plot. He seems to think better of it and turns around to head back to the woods. I have to mouthgrunt at him twice to stop him....BOOM the .222 drops another one with a shot to the neck. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us We really hooted it up this time and high five it. He says"That was awesome!" It now 7:20. He calls momma to tell her and we get the truck to get them loaded and get pics. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us We took them to Dean's to get processed. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us It has been an awesome week of hunting with my son(watched him get one monday eve). The Lord has blessed us with plenty of meat in the freezer. It is kind of bittersweet to be bucked out so early in the season. But now I wont be tempted to shoot a big one without my boy sitting with me and I get to watch him get it. I cant wait! This is the 1st time I have ever got 2 bucks on the same hunt. And I got to do it with my son. :banana:
Welby
Site Sponsor

Re: Opening weekend with my son....my 1st double!

Post by Welby »

Thanks for the story ! Good times.............
bman

Post by bman »

Fantastic! Looking forward to those times when my daughters get a little older!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY :D
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Super!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

ONE OF MY WIFE'S COUSINS LITTLE GIRL, 8 YR. OLD GOT HER FIRST BUCK SAT. MORNIN, BUCK RAN AND WAS NOT BLEEDING TOO MUCH, ALMOST DARK AND THEY WERE LOOSING THE SPOTS OF BLOOD. RAY WENT BACK TO THE HOUSE AND GOT HIS OLD COON DOG AND PUT HIM ON THE LAST BLOOD SPOT AND THAT OLD COON DOG CARRIED THEM RIGHT TO THE DOWNED DEER, RAY WAS SO PROUD HE ALMOST POPPED WIDE OPEN, HIS LITTLE GIRL WAS JUST CARRING ON , SHE WAS REALLY PROUD OF HER FIRST DEER. SHE DID NOT TELL ME HOW MANY POINTS BUT SHE DID NOT CARE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Thanks everyone it was a hunt we will never forget. Futch try to get a pic of her deer and post it up. Congrats to her.
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

Great hunt dad!
BlindHog

Post by BlindHog »

Great story, man. Had thought your boy was younger from that pic of him piloting the boat. They do grow up fast.
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn now 'n then...
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

BlindHog wrote:Great story, man. Had thought your boy was younger from that pic of him piloting the boat. They do grow up fast.
Yeah it's an older picture.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Awesome!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

CONGRATS!!!! That boy is one happy kid! Priceless....
Don't major in the minor stuff in life