Knot questions?

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cooter

Knot questions?

Post by cooter »

What is the best knot to use when tying lures such as Mirrolures, Top Dogs and spoons directly to the line? I've heard that certain knots allow for better action of the lure.

Also, if I'm using 20lb flourocarbon for a leader what is the best way to attach that to my line- black swivel or I've seen some knots that can be used to tie two lines together but don't know if I trust them.
A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of workin'
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I believe Mirrolure has the Mirrolure knot, a type of loop knot. I have used it; if the loop is to big it can get foul hooked. You loose contact between you and the strike, the lure sits in a loop, fish hits it (we are talking milliseconds here, but they count too), hook set can be late. So I use a standard uni knot on just about everything, I do occasionally tie loop knots, palomars, etc. more for change of pace than purpose.

We discussed leader tying the other day, here is the post, the Stren knot looks like a good one to try, don’t like swivels.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... eader+knot
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

If the lure has a split ring that is attached to the front eye it already moves free, no need for a loop on top of that. Now if it does not then a loop for more action.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Don. Being half blind or just getting older my eyes are not as good as the use to be. So tieing fancy knots in line I can't see is tough.
But I like you think the loop or ring will give the bait more Acton.
So I add stainless steel split rings to all of my MirrOlures that dive sink or suspend. My topwater stick/type baits I tie the leader right to the ring.
Maybe it is not the right thing to do but that is what I do.
Whatdoyathink??
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

TD,

Do not see anything wrong with your way, but tying a loop can be easier than getting them dang splitrings on the bait. :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Don, you can buy a pair of split ring pliers at Wal-Mart. It makes changing split rings and hooks a lot easier.
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I use the loop knot a lot. I do put split rings on most of my stick baits. The loop knot works good on grubs also. The action is much more free moving, not as stiff if your using 25-30lb leader.
Still havn't mastered the uniknot with any confidence.
Semper Fi
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

[quote="tin can"]Don, you can buy a pair of split ring pliers at Wal-Mart. It makes changing split rings and hooks a lot easier.[/quote

Don. What Tin Can said
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

CSMarine wrote:Still havn't mastered the uniknot with any confidence.
I just showed it to you Monday :roll:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

That waz how long ago.. :-D
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

If you tie a regular bowline it makes an easy loop knot and the tag end is pointed towards the lure so it does't catch grass as bad as some. If you are using a leader, knot strength is not an issue. All good boatmen know how to tie a bowline don't they?