TO ALL GOOD REDFISHERMEN

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hunter

Post by hunter »

What kind of information would be most helpful to you as an active redfisherman?
A publisher has asked me to write a book about redfishing. Naturally it would include the usual things for the beginning redfisherman but I'd like to include information that would be helpful to the accomplished or experienced redfishing anglers, as well. Hopefully such a book would be loaded with helpful tips, on when and where to look for the fish, how to rig or make jigs or flies that are particularly hot with them. For instance, one Big Bend guide wouldn't even let me name the gold spoon he was catching all his reds on for fear of competion from other guides. It's a real winner and of course will be featured if I do this book. But I'd like any ideas from you people as to what you think needs go into it to make it valuable to all of us. You can send any feedback to me at hunterb4@digitalexp.com.
Thanks,
Bob Burgess
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Is this book for the local redfish population?

I know one question that gets asked here all the time is "where and how can a guy without a boat catch reds and trout?"

In other words some good wading spots and techniques would be helpful.

Glad to see such an accomplished writer as you Mr. Burgess grace us with your presence. Your input will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I know of the guide and the lure of which you speak so it's OK to leave that bit out. :grin:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captfredfish

Post by captfredfish »

Bob,
How about some detailed information on Redfish behavior. This is a very closely studied gamefish and you should have no problem getting your hands on migratory, seasonal and spawning movements documented for both Gulf and Atlantic populations. Explain how a hard cold front affects them. Trace their movement from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. How does their diet change during this period. Rate their senses: eyesite, smell, etc. What types of habitat and stucture do they prefer; when and why? Tell us what other species they school with or near and why?
I'm a huge fan of these little guys...I very rarely keep one. Frank Seargent's book was OK...but it left me wanting to know much more.

Good Luck in your endeavor,
cff
captfredfish@hotmail.com