Stranded in Pennsylvania -- **any mechanics out there?"

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Stranded in Pennsylvania -- **any mechanics out there?"

Post by dolphinatic »

Here's the deal. We were scheduled to leave Pennsylvania yesterday morning to head back to Tally. Wake up to a ALOT of snow falling. Roads are 6 inches deep by daybreak, so we decide to wait it out. Roads get cleared just after dark, so we decide to wait and leave at first light. I get up early this morning to dig the van out. I start the van, go to back up and hear "CLANK" from underneath the hood. I pop the hood to find the harmonic balancer pulley has separated from the balancer and is laying on the subframe :( I call the only parts house within 20 miles and they have a balancer/pulley set. I go pick up the balancer and a removal kit. I get back to the house and start working on this thing in 1 ft of snow and 27 degree weather with wind gusts :smt012 After removing the crank bolt, I get the removal tool on the balancer and it will not budge, even with an impact wrench. Tried heating with a torch around the crank.....nothing. Tried for 2 hours with no luck. Problem: the only repair shop here is closed till after New Years. No one will work on it. I've never had a balancer not come off with a puller. The van is a 1997 Chevy Venture with a 3.4 engine. Any ideas from my fellow BBF southerners would be greatly appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Re: Stranded in Pennsylvania -- **any mechanics out there?"

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

Sorry, no ideas, but I feel your pain. That really bites! :smt010
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Check with the fireman sherrifs office or police somebody knows somebodv.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

What a mess wrote:Check with the fireman sherrifs office or police somebody knows somebodv.
Already put the word out. People aren't as quick to help out as they are down there :smt009
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
basstracker93

Post by basstracker93 »

Hey Dolph did some searching on the repair blogs and came across this dont know if it will help but i sure know how it is to be broke down and nothing open or anyone willing to help. This was a post on one of the replys to a person trying to remove a stuck harm balncr

Re: 1998 Chevy Venture Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You aren't pushing against the crank bolt washer, are you? Get the puller out of the way and dig around in the dirt in the center of the balancer, there might be a washer in there.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Some of my family left Penn. yesterday about noon. They were in Altoona which also had lots of snow. The children enjoy playing in that white stuff but the pond wasn't frozen enough to play on the ice. Hope you get things fixed and have a safe trip home.

Might as well enjoy being there a little longer....heck, the fish ain't biting anyway!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

My thought was also the washer.
What was I supposed to do today?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Take the crank bolt, remove the washer and put the bolt back in all the way. Put the puller against the crank bolt with the proper end on the puller screw. One you have it good and tight, take a Brass hammer and rap good and hard on the end of the puller bolt. retighten the puller bolt, repeat. It will slowly come off. Heating the crank with a torch is NOT a good idea as it can ruin the seal and really wont help much as both parts will heat about the same anyway. But it is a good idea to replace the seal anyway while you have the balancer off.

One other thing. Make sure there is lube on the puller screw. Good lube like grease or oil, not WD40. The puller will exert more pressure with less turning force with lubed threads.

Used this method many times with truck and some really big ones on John Deere engines. Never failed me.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

Where are you abouts? I have a cousin who is good with motors in PA.... I will check back in a little while
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

CaptReelThyme wrote:Where are you abouts? I have a cousin who is good with motors in PA.... I will check back in a little while
I'm in Muncy, PA....just south of Williamsport off 180.

Team BevisRealty.com
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

I sent him a text message. He is hunting around those parts, I am not sure where he is exactly though. When I hear back i will let you know. Bout to call my aunt now to see if there is a possibility of anyone closer... Cant promise, just trying to help out
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Well, I got the van inside an old mechanics shop, out of the snow, and the first crank on the puller made the balancer slip right off the crankshaft :thumbup: 20 minutes later, everything installed and on our way to Florida :-D

Team BevisRealty.com
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GLAD YA GOT THE PROBLEM SOLVED, IT IS A BUGGER BEAR TO GET CAUGHT SHORT LIKE THAT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

Glad you got it figured out. I left a message on your number in the advertisement, just disregard now... Safe travels!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Left Pennsylvania 3 hours ago and still running strong into Maryland!

Team BevisRealty.com