Boat Pimpin' Question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Boat Pimpin' Question

Post by big bend gyrene »

So... coming up on her 8th birthday, Marine's Dream is showing a bit of age.

Tilt on etec out (could be as easy as fuse, haven't troubleshot), wiring from multiple changes has inside of the console a freaking wire cluster... uhmmm... mess, some contacts corroding, have wiring for lights run to t-top but never have had a light installed, have my fish finder cutting off with any pounding wave, and despite having a fairly demanding setup (live well pump, radio, gps/finder combo, bilge, etc) am running all of it off a single battery and would prefer have a second battery wired in for accessories/security.

So with my baby showing a bit of wear, who would y'all most highly recommend doing a bang-up job pimpin' her out? In a dream world I wouldn't be working, Obama would foot the bill, and I would slowly do the work myself to ensure I'm happy. But working crazy long hours is what's let her get in this bad of shape between trips. :smt010 NOT fooling myself I have the time to tackle what I want.

Won't say money is no issue as I'm as cheap a bastage as they come, BUT willing to pair fair price for SUPERIOR workmanship. Willing to drive her a ways to get the very best work done too, so don't restrict shops to Tally if you feel strongly the best option falls within 100 miles or so. ALL FEEDBACK will be GREATLY appreciated as I'm eager to have her pimped ASAP and ready for cobes come late spring.
:thumbup: :beer: salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat Pimpin' Question

Post by tin can »

Parkway Marine
What was I supposed to do today?
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

willing to pair fair price
tin can wrote:Parkway Marine
those 2 statements don't go together :-D
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Redfin wrote:
willing to pair fair price
tin can wrote:Parkway Marine
those 2 statements don't go together :-D
If you consider the price of parts and the labor expense, you are getting a fair price from most any reputable business. I guess you would have to ask yourself what you would charge for you to be in business, pay insurance, employees salary, cost of facilities to do business etc, etc, then see if the price is outragous or unfair. I know giving top quality service with quality parts and the personel to do the work ain,t cheap. If you want cheap, do it yourself.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Sounds to me that the original install on "Marines Dream" is the real problem. I'm sure you have heard the term "pay me now, or pay me later"! Well, you are at "the later" end of it. When it comes to marine wiring, it's a whole lot cheaper to do it right the first time. That way "later" on, your not paying someone to remove the "mess" before installing it correctly. Any boat requiring an engine starter to get underway should have a dedicated battery for engine starting and emergency equipment also connected to this battery. From your discription of the problems, you knew better when you installed it , or had it installed, please don't blame it on the GOVERNMENT !!!!
big bend gyrene

Done business with Parkway before and though wasn't cheap, also can't say it was unfair either (based on all the factors reelbad shared). Can't complain about the quality of the work either. May well use them again, just was interested due to the scope of work in getting .02 from folks on options, again opening the door to shops that might not be at my doorstep.

Only complaint I have about Parkway is that Quinn got just a bit TOO big of a kick out of my fighting-lady-yellow panga looking like a "banana boat". Hear it enough it didn't sting the first time he laughed about it... but maybe around the 3rd or 4th time that started to change. :smt012 :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

charlie tuna wrote:Sounds to me that the original install on "Marines Dream" is the real problem. I'm sure you have heard the term "pay me now, or pay me later"! Well, you are at "the later" end of it. When it comes to marine wiring, it's a whole lot cheaper to do it right the first time. That way "later" on, your not paying someone to remove the "mess" before installing it correctly. Any boat requiring an engine starter to get underway should have a dedicated battery for engine starting and emergency equipment also connected to this battery. From your discription of the problems, you knew better when you installed it , or had it installed, please don't blame it on the GOVERNMENT !!!!
Charlie Tuna, did I blame the government? :roll: :smt017 :smt102 Maybe for a million, no make that $16,000,000,000 other things but not any boat repairs I need.

Relax a bit... as many board members who've been aboard will attest, it's been exactly as named, a DREAM of a boat. Served me almost perfectly without fail for eight awesome cobia-coffin-box filled years while letting me get shallow enough to fill 'er with limits of reds too.

Just that I bought her a bit bare boned focusing on inshore fishing and have ended up staying midshore about 75% of the time... so time has come for some clean up, and not blaming Panga as they delivered what I wanted at the time. Few other shops (not Parkway) have done add-on work I've liked less, will just say leave it at that as far as the wiring mess goes.

Actually, not looking to blame anyone! Focusing on the positive. Just want to trick her out better than ever. :smt045 :-D
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Mikes Marine
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

MarkM wrote:Mikes Marine
He does a lot more than just fiberglass work
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Had a very good fellow worker, who decided to wire his boat himself. Went the "pay me now, or pay me later" route. Cost him his life. Not out to blame anyone, just suggesting, when setting up any boat, do it right. In the long run it actually is cheaper and a heck of a lot safer!!

"In a dream world I wouldn't be working, Obama would foot the bill, and I would slowly do the work myself to ensure I'm happy" your comments.

Did you blame the government?

Dream on, but expecting the President to come PAY for, and personnelly fix your "past" boat wiring problems "IS" blaming the GOVERNMENT. :roll: :smt012 salute1
big bend gyrene

Charlie, guess you didn't detect the sarcasm... 100% pure sarcasm. Strictly a tax payer to date, outside small Marine Corps paychecks that were more than earned. Never taken a red cent of "free (NOT) assistance" from the government. In fact mailed them a check today for quarterly taxes big enough to have paid annual salaries for 3 more full time employees or to have bought 3 or 4 brand new well-wired pangas. Not a good humor day on the politics subject, I'm afraid, thus the sarcasm.

For all those sharing sincere recommendations, MUCH appreciate them. :beer: :thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

big bend gyrene wrote:Charlie, guess you didn't detect the sarcasm... 100% pure sarcasm. Strictly a tax payer to date, outside small Marine Corps paychecks that were more than earned. Never taken a red cent of "free (NOT) assistance" from the government. In fact mailed them a check today for quarterly taxes big enough to have paid annual salaries for 3 more full time employees or to have bought 3 or 4 brand new well-wired pangas. Not a good humor day on the politics subject, I'm afraid, thus the sarcasm.

For all those sharing sincere recommendations, MUCH appreciate them. :beer: :thumbup:
Well said BBG. Hope you get the boat problems up to date soon cause the fish are waiting. Thanks for your service. Would like to get up with you sometime for a cobe trip.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If Mike's Marine Way does rigging even half as good as their glass work. You would be hard pressed to find a better place to get it done. Parkway is a site sponsor and I have heard they do good work. I am right there with you as to the perceived attitude from jr. though.
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

It is a bit of a drive, but Young Boats in Inglis does an awesome job. I had them do all kinds of work (fiberglass, electrical, etc) on my flats boat and I am very happy.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

reelbad wrote:If you consider the price of parts and the labor expense, you are getting a fair price from most any reputable business. I guess you would have to ask yourself what you would charge for you to be in business, pay insurance, employees salary, cost of facilities to do business etc, etc, then see if the price is outragous or unfair. I know giving top quality service with quality parts and the personel to do the work ain,t cheap. If you want cheap, do it yourself.
Don't ALL shops have the same expenses you just mentioned? (pay insurance, employees salary, cost of facilities to do business etc, etc) - they are high dollar. no if, ands or buts about it. Good, I suppose. Convenient to me as well. But - I think i will shop around next go round. And I do what what I can myself, when I can - because I am cheap.