A trip down memory lane for some folks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

A trip down memory lane for some folks

Post by mbweimar »

My grandmother passed back in October, and while cleaning out her utility room I found an old tackle box full of tackle. Most of the stuff belonged to my great grandfather, Albert Robert Broadfoot.

Maybe some of you fellas can identify some of this old stuff. I'd love to get a history lesson about it, or even hear some stories from the old days.

My grandmothers resident fishing lisence from 1951.

My grandfater's non-resident lisence.

Pflueger baitcaster...couldnt find any model numbers on this reel. It belonged to my great grandfather.

I reckon this is used for limb lines.

dogonenuts

Re: A trip down memory lane for some folks

Post by dogonenuts »

That Detty's fish gripper is the best fish scaling device ever made. I have one that my dad bought back in about 1966 or so. Many a bream has been scaled with that thing over the years. Now when I use it to scale Redfish and those ever so rare ARS.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

These plugs don't look that old to me!!! :-D
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE TOP PLUG IS A CHUB CREEK 2000 BASS PLUG, THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE IS A DALTON SPECIAL BASS PLUG, AND THE BOTTOM PLUG IS A PIKEIE MINNOW MADE BY CHUB CREEK. I HAVE SOME OF THE SAME PLUGS IN MY BOX BUT WITH DIFFERENT COLORS. THE CHUB CREEK 2000 I HAVE I BOUGHT BACK IN 1935 AND I CAUGHT MY FIRST BASS ON IN DOWN AT GREEN COVE SPRINGS, THAT THING WEIGHED 8 POUNDS, HAD COTTON BRADED LINE AND A PFLUGER AKRON REEL WITH A LITTLE STEEL ROD, DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE ROD. I REMEMBER I CAST UP UNDER THE OLD SHANDS BRIDGE AND AS SOON AS THE PLUG HIT THE WATER THAT OLD BASS NAILED IT. BACK THEN THE SHANDS BRIDGE WAS MADE OF WOOD PLANKS, IT LATER BURNED AND THEY REBUILDED IT WITH CONCRETE PILES. NEARLY ALL THE PAINT IS GONE FROM MY OLD PLUGS, I DO NOT USE THEM ANYMORE. I MADE MANY PLUGS LIKE THOSE OLD PLUGS AND I STILL USE THE ONES I MADE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Plugs are Creek Chub Darter, Dalton Special, and creek Chub Pikie in that order. The spinner baits with the spider were called The Thing. also if you owned a Pflueger Surpreme reel in the 50's you were in high cotten.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Gorgeous stuff. many a memory in that equipment. I learned to fish with such items and even though I spend hundreds on modern tackle the old stuff still draws my attention. Thanks for the post.
Залив Апачи
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Awesome. I've seen all of it back in the day. Quite a collection!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

The green Shakespeare TruArt reel is an auto fly reel. I have the one my Dad used when flyfishing for bream. It's automatic in that tension is built up in the spring when line is stripped and uptake is accomplished by engaging the finger lever. It has no crank. It was quite important to release all the tension when not fishing to protect the spring strength. Notice on the back the rod attachment as the reel lays flat instead of traditional cranking reel placement.

The age of the Pixie is documented by the type of glass eyes and hook attachments.

The Thing was so popular because the cork spiders could be replaced and the keel helped to keep it from hanging up. We used them on 4' solid glass rods with zebco 33s with 6# line for bream. Tons of fun and fish!

That appears to be a second generation Dalton probably made in Florida. If so, the info will be printed on the front belly portion. First generation Dalton's did not have the printing.

The Pfleuger Supreme was a mid grade and extremely popular reel. The Rolls Royce of the day in reels was the Shakespeare President with one pearl side plate decoration.

Love seeing older tackle....thanks for sharing!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Looks to me your great grand daddy was a first class fisherman, all this "stuff" was "top of the line" in the day !!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Caught a lot of bass on the Dalton Specials. One of my go to lures in pads and grass. Especially before daylight or just after dark. Those plugs bring back memories. My Great Aunt and Uncle had a fish camp off of New Port Richey back in the 50s. They were camp houses on pilings on the flats. They lost theirs to a hurricane just before I was born and never rebuilt. They would take a boat out to it and fish from the porch. My Uncle left me several of those Pfleuger reels on some pool cue glass rods. I lost them after many moves. One of them was still in perfect working order the last time I messed with it. I have even caught bass on it as a kid.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

dupe post
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Did you have any of the black braided line? First fishing knot I learned to tie was with black braided line to a plug. Was so proud of myself. Then "cat gut", mono line, came out and we all had to learn another knot.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Neat stuff. We never had anything that fancy. We fished the Ochlocknee river with a lead line and a #7 mustad hook.
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

The Creek Chub Darter was a good, floating jerk bait. It and the Midge-Oreno caught plenty of largemouth for me back in Oklahoma ponds and lakes. The Dalton Special was the best bait for evening twilight for both black and white bass...still is probably about as good as anything people are currently using. I never caught much on the Pikie except in Canada. Up there on a good day in Lake of the Woods about anything resembling a minnow would get a strike from a pike or smallie. We always used braided nylon or dacron line, usually black.