St. Marks - 3/2/13

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RoRo

St. Marks - 3/2/13

Post by RoRo »

I decided to give it a shot and fish out of Saint Marks this Saturday. My step dad was visiting from TN and had never been fishing in this area. I warned him that it was going to be a tricky day with all this fresh water dumping in, howling winds, and cold weather. He was game so I rigged the lines, picked up some live shrimp and headed to the Fort. We got there about 10.30a and there was only one other truck in the lot.

I knew the seas were going to be choppy, but I thought that we might be able to get out to shallow water rocks in about 14’ of water and try at some Rock Bass. Had to take it slow to avoid getting sprayed, but we eventually made it out there. Once there we started seeing some 3+ footers and my 18’ Cobia was just not having it. We were getting a tossed around and really had no chance of anchoring on top of any good numbers. Se we made a move and headed towards Stoney. We fished the flats in about 4’ of water to see if maybe the trout would be out there. NOPE! We were using gulps and suspending plugs worked the area for about an hour with not even one strike.

At this we pushed into Stoney. Pulled up on a hole and dropped some shrimp and prayed for the best. I wasn’t going to move from that hole until something got hungry and decided to bend the rod. After about 30 minutes started seeing the rod tip bend ever so slightly. Thought to myself we may be on some Sheeps Head and sure enough reeled in a nice keeper Sheepy. A few minutes later my step dad reeled in a little Sting Ray and I was happy that even with these poor conditions we were not skunked.

Finally decided to try and fish a spot I knew produced some good reds in the Wakulla this winter and pulled a little Sheepy there as well. Sun was beginning to set at this point so we decided to call it a day. Talk to a few other brave anglers at the ramp and no one seemed to have any luck locating the Reds and Trouts on Saturday.

ced0412

Re: St. Marks - 3/2/13

Post by ced0412 »

What was the water vis around the rock garden and stoney?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

That was the best, bad, fishing report I've read in a long time. Sorry the fish were not biting but was proud of your courage, endurance and determination. I am also thankful you made a report about fishing.

I tip my hat to you and thank you for the report!

We are ready to go but are waiting for better conditions.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Great report Robert!
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

I'm glad you got that out of the way, so that way tourney day you won't have another day like that... :lol:
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

No love @ Spring Creek Sunday morning, only wind and cold biting. Don't fish there often, couldn't remember, thinking I should have been using a carolina rig on the boil, instead of the shrimp jig head that the strong current was probably not letting get to the bottom. Also tried up the creek, and out on bars, still only the wind biting. But I saw pictures of lots of fish nearby, just couldn't get to them.
RoRo

Post by RoRo »

Ced, the water was surprisingly visible in some areas around the Rock Garden/Stoney. It was almost like it just hadn't quite mixed in yet... As we moved into Stoney the water became very dark and was dark in the rivers as well. Thanks SS and Eric for the kind words :-D .... Jimmy no worries for tourney day, pretty sure I got all the non-fish catching out of my system!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good to hear you went fishing with your step Dad. Too bad the fishing didn't go any better. I thought for sure the rock garden would have been productive by now, but after this mornings freeze, that surely applied lock-jaw to a bunch of fish.... Way to keep at it :thumbup:
firemed2552

Post by firemed2552 »

I am glad you made it back without problems and glad you got to spend time with your step dad. Good report as I fish there all the time during the summer months and like to hear reports from the rock garden. Be safe out there