heading out this weekend

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reeltherapy

heading out this weekend

Post by reeltherapy »

I have been chomping at the bit since December to hit the water i bought a new to me boat and ever since if i have been off of work the wind has blown 100 mph and the seas were less than fair. I have this weekend off and the forecast looked good so I booked the last spot at a campground in Carrabelle brought my boat to work with me today to finish getting everything ready "seems to be never ending with a new boat". I have been reading on this forum for years as a guest and finally joined, but i have noticed for the past wile that there has not been any post in the offshore section. Is this because of the weather, or high price of fuel or small bag limits or what? I have been fishing in the big bend all my life offshore and inshore. it has been a wile since i have fished out of Carrabelle so if anyone has been latley how is the bait situation? and if anyone has been how has the fishing been offshore how has it been?
Dixiewreckd

Re: heading out this weekend

Post by Dixiewreckd »

No one posts here cause we aint aloud to keep crap off shore. Or at least thats why i think noone posts here. In the summer and during grouper season there will be more posts here. But, Saying that, I am also going to run out this weekend to check and see if anyone is home at some new numbers :)
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Ya'll have fun and catch a lot of fish. Don't forget to post what happened so we can all enjoy your fun.

Good luck!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

The bite has been on fire offshore! Now, I haven't been since all the rain but went the two weekends prior. We caught all the Gags, Reds, Snapper and AJ's you wanted. Of course we kept only the AJ's which were in the 30lb range (great for the grill.) Been catching most of my fish high speed jigging. When worked correctly you can really target a number of species using this method. I am trying to see if it is less expensive to buy the jigs and risking loosing them or buying frozen bait and definitely loosing it.

We caught all of our fish in about 100ft of water SW of Carabelle.

Headed out this weekend. So far 1 to 2s and 80degrees. :smt103
Dixiewreckd

Post by Dixiewreckd »

any chance the AJ's are in shallower water? 100' is a long way to go for some aj's. Maybe around the tower?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

keyser why don't ya come and fish the keaton tournament this weekend?
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Reel Therepy...mentioned this in the "Isnt it sad" post but, if you look at the offshore section you will see a variety of posts from Cobia fishermen to Econfina Grouper, Gag mania and quite a few by me and my crew on the Celestial Crab, but we only fish offshore when the seasons allow fish to be taken. I don't have time or the income; especially with the Celestial one in Grad school, to make a trip to Carrabelle every weekend or every other weekend to target Black Sea bass, grunts and AJ. We simply don't fish for offshore species during those closure months, we make one or two redfish/trout trips with friends and call it for the winter. Previously years when gag and red grouper were in season JANUARY was a fantastic time to fish for us, now we are stuck waiting for April 1st. Thank you Capt Keyser for at least keeping our mouth wet!
Joe
Last edited by Ranaman on March 13th, 2013, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoRo

Post by RoRo »

mpa_72001 wrote:keyser why don't ya come and fish the keaton tournament this weekend?
Yea you should fish Keaton and you get to catch fish you can keep!! :lol:
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Same as Ranaman. If I can't keep them it's not much fun for me. Hopefully we'll have some good weather next month.