Best filet knife?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Best filet knife?

Post by GaryDroze »

There must be something better than the halfway decent Rapalas and such that fail me after a few months, even with constant sharpening. I impatiently await your informed advice. I'm frustrated enough to pay a bunch, if the knife is really worth it.
bman

Re: Best filet knife?

Post by bman »

Dexter Russell fillet knives with the white handles.
I have an 8" serrated for the tough bony fish- grouper and reds
and an 8" smooth fillet to take the skin off.

about $25 each.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Funny you posted this, I just watched the bubba blade video. Looks pretty slick. I use the white handle Dexter Russell knives. A large serrated one for thick skin, bones, and cutting off heads. And 7" curved fillet knife for going around bones and skin. I think the bubba is about $60 and DR's are $20-30.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Dexter Russell....I get mine at AMS
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

As someone who gets paid to use knives for a living as well as clean thousands of pounds of fish & game. I have quite the selection of knives. My two consistent go to's are the Mundial 8" stiff and the 6" curved. To me the dexter russels don't hold up as well nor keep an edge, the handle feels weird in my hand. I have high end filet knives that I have gotten though the years, but use daily, I suggest the Mundial line. They are both under $20 a piece each. The good folks at Big Bend Restaurant Supply carry them and are probably the best price in Tallahassee. Ask for Mary or Theresa and tell them Chef Brian sent you. I am not vested in them, just like to support the local little guys...
bman

Post by bman »

That Bubba blade looks sweet...
bubba.jpg
bubba.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00987 ... gbenfis-20

I still lke the Dexter for the price
The 8 inch fillet
fillet.jpg
fillet.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ST3X06/ref ... DD5MJY7Z4F

and the 8" TIGER EDGE(SERATED) SLICER
serated.jpg
serated.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032T ... gbenfis-20
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

I really like the Victorinox filet knives. They are very easy to sharpen and hold a very good edge. I have had mine for around 8+ years if not a lot longer.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

For a couple of years i ran a seafood market that supplied all kinds of seafood to restarants and hotels. I had two full time professional fish cutters working for me that we had to hire to keep up with the demand. Our store always bought the best knives on the market and maily stainless steel. The professional fish cutters used carbon steel knives, which i had trouble finding in Florida! I had to order them from The City Fish Market in New York. They were cheap at the time, under $100. for a box of twelve. The idea of carbon steel was that it "wasn't" hard, and was easily sharpened by a few strokes on a stone or steel! Of course, being soft steel, these knives didn't last long. Each fish cutter would go thru a knife in two weeks or less. Their story was, a properly sharpened knife, regardless of it's material will be dulled by hitting bones and cutting boards. So the easier it could be returned to proper sharpness, the sooner they were back cutting fish..
For as much fish as i bring home i use stainless steel.............................
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I grew up using the Rapala knives and they are actually decent knives considering. When I started getting to go offshore more often me and my friends quickly switched to the Dexter Russell white handled knives. I keep the large serrated blade, the basic fillet blade, and a 6 inch boner (no snickers, that's actually the name of the blade...) with the curved or swept back style blade. That last one sees as much use in the kitchen or on deer as on fish. I'm not very good with the sharpening stone so I keep one of those little yellow handheld sharpeners you pull the blade through with the carbide cutters on one side and the ceramic V on the other side for a quick touch up.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I keep a Dexter Russel serrate and a 10" Dexter straight blade in my truck for cleaning fish at the dock. I have a rod holder cutting board on my boat to cut up bait. I used to keep Dexter Russells in the slot on the board. I lost 2 or 3 and said no more. I bought a 2 pack of Winchester or something filet knives to keep on the board. About twelve dollars for the two. Haven't lost one yet.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

I have about 5 Dexters, a couple of Rapalas, a Gerber, and a couple of others. With that said, If I have a bunch of fish, I plug in an electric.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I love my folding Opinel 15cm blade :-D Had it for 15 years.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

What's the best electric knife?
The Back Porch
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

The best fillet knife I own is the Fisherman's Solution by CUTCO, comes with an extendable blade 6"-9", the sheath has a built in fish gripper, notched line cutter, sharpening stone and are guaranteed forever; price $85. I have also used it to skin deer and hogs, it holds an excellent edge and is easy to sharpen, you can also buy replacement blades for it. I am NOT a salesman for CUTCO but have been using them for many years; you get what you pay for.
I don't catch (or keep) enough fish to need an electric knife. :-D