Catchin' St. Marks 4_13_2013

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Catchin' St. Marks 4_13_2013

Post by mjsigns »

Since the weather crapped out on us Friday, we me and my neighbors kid, set off early this morning to put in down at the Fort in St. Marks. We were about the 5th vehicle down there and it wasn’t a mad-house like I expected. It was 45 degrees at the ramp and I was glad I had on my Real Tree hoodie and jeans. Once we were under way it felt like 35. The first mental note I took was the water temp in the river 69.5. When we left this morning we decided we weren't checking the tides winds or weather because nothing was going to stop us from fishing this time. When we got to the mouth of the river and went out to the second channel marker, I snapped a quick shot of the lighthouse.Image
The water was 70.5 and dark and deeply stained like espresso, the wind was 15-19 out of the north. I made the eastern turn and headed east towards the flats. There were only a couple of boats there by this time. At the first stop I broke out the drift sock and set up a good drift. First two casts produce two keeper Spanish macks in the cooler. I was using a popping cork with a gulp jig underneath it and my neighbor was just jigging with a gulp. It was so windy I had trouble following my cork as it slipped under waves and foam and occasionally zipped off. The bite was “on” even though the wind was “on” to. The water temp where we were fishing was 71.5. The wind was such that I could hear it whistling through our lines on the extra poles we had rigged and brought along on the vertical rod holders. To say the bite was on would be an understatement. It was wide open. I made the command decision we weren’t going to put any trout in the cooler that was less than 16 inches. Within 20 minutes we had 5 hogs in the cooler, biggest was 21”, 16” being the shortest. For those of you who know about this time of year, THEY are BACK. We slammed the trout; releasing several limits and a few more big’uns (literally the ones we were releasing were 2”-3”above legal size). We only kept what we were going to keep, clean, and eat. Here is my neighbor with a "hog".. Image

We moved a couple of times to re-start out drift before the upper level clouds broke and let the sun shined directly on us. The water surface quickly warmed up to 72.5. Around 1100 the wind died down and we continued to catch trout.
Me with another "hog" - Image
By 1130 the bite shut down. We decided to go and jig in some deeper water out in 8 foot and picked up some short rock bass and after a decent fight, strangely, a keeper Blue fish (into the cooler). About then we decided to head south and troll for grouper. I laid in a course for Ballard Reef and was giving my partner a quick lesson on how to troll for grouper. Once we got in 20’ of water I put out the stretch 25’s and noticed that some commercial fisherman or crabber had those round Styrofoam floats strung out about every 25 yards or so in every direction. I don't know what they were thinking but those floats were everywhere. I told my partner to watch the poles and lines and lemme know if we get hung on one of the crabbers lines. The funny thing was, I had “assumed” that he “understood” that the stretch 25’s were deep running hard baits. While I was dodging those round Styrofoam floats strung out about every 25 yards or so my fishing buddy didn’t say anything to me about the lures skipping across the top of the water. I didn’t look back until we were almost 2 miles from Dog Ballard Reef. After giving him a quick lesson on the baits and how they are deep-diving-runners, I decided to turn our trolling towards Wakulla Reef. So I was driving the boat and glancing back once in a while….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz one of the poles went off. I shut off the boat and told him to reel in the other pole while I checked the one that appeared to be hung on one of the crabbers lines. I’d pull, and the float would move…. I was a little upset on the inside but controlled and calm on the out side. The line was obviously hung and we had to go back and at least try to retrieve the lure. After giving him a quick lesson on how to drive the boat, we went back over toward the float and magically the float let go, but still my lure had become hopelessly lodged in a rock on the bottom. After circling a few times, we decided it best to just cut the line. That was when I let the line go completely slack (to get the cutters) and just gave it a last vigorous snatch, and it tugged back at me (with vengeance) and we both were awestruck at the same time. After a good fight I had landed this 24” Gag. ..... Image Then into the cooler he went.... - Image

Incredible day on the water at least for us. Let everyone know the Trout are back and in great numbers. That trip wore me out, arms sore, and fixing to take nap after lunch.
.... 4/14/2013 - Today's Lunch... :lick: :lick: :lick:
Can't wait to do it all over again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt006
Last edited by mjsigns on April 14th, 2013, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
JC_UF_ITK

Re: Catchin' St. Marks 4_13_2013

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Sounds like a great day! Good job.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thank you for a good FISHING report!

We didn't go but my nephew did. He had truck starter problems first off and was late getting in the water, around 12:30. He, his four boys and a friend from work caught ten trout. It wasn't a good day for him.

Another friend and his brother caught four red's and two good trout - not a good day for him either!

These two parties fished out of Keaton.

So......I would say that you had an excellent day.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Congrats on the grouper.
The Back Porch
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great day. That would be an awesome cooler shot with a gag in there with the trout. :o What color gulp were they likeing?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Great report! Don't forget the pictures.
Team Jolly Mon
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Pictures added today :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The three colors that were most successful were "Molting", "Natural" and "Lime-Tiger". The trout were not picky, and the fish were not holding back on the bite, they were vicious "hits". Remember all you have to do to get them to strike, is turn your head, or reach for your drink, somehow they must have been watching us closely, even stranger was having them slam your bait a foot or two from the edge of the boat while you were reeling in to check your bait. Thanks for the comments :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Great day and report! Sweet Gag! We've never fished for Grouper and this year we're going to give it a shot trolling inshore for Grouper. The Ark is almost done. It's been down in Sarasota for a month being painted and getting the Linex treatment. Definitely not an off shore thing but she's 18' with a beam of 8' and built like a tank so should be a lot of fun inshore. It'll be a learning experience lol and our second season out of St. Marks.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

One observation I didn't mention in my last report was, there were no bait fish (pins or other kinds) on the flats. The whole morning we drifted, I had a pin fish line with three hooks/brine shrimp baits, and I didn't get a single hit on that line. Normally I have double hook ups with the pin fish, and always have fresh cut bait on board, but not this last trip. I don't think the bait fish have made the migration to the flats, so that is why the "bite-is-on" out there.
Definitely not an off shore thing but she's 18' with a beam of 8' and built like a tank
- Badbagger - You have plenty of boat for the job, just pick your days, your boat will work just fine out there as long as the wind stays down.
chris.harris388

Post by chris.harris388 »

We got about 10 pin fish on St. Marks Saturday morning in about 4-6 ft. of water. Couldn't find anything to hit them though.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Nice mess of fish! :beer:
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....