Looking for Flounder

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishing_Ninja

Looking for Flounder

Post by Fishing_Ninja »

I'm hoping to get a little advice. I love me some flounder but don't know exactly where to find them. Since moving to florida I have spent most of my time surf fishing, with quite of bit of luck. I have no problem finding trout, reds, sheepshead, or black drum.

I recently bought a kayak (with dreams of slaying Flounder) and while I have been fishing my whole life, fishing out of a yak is new to me. So does anyone know of some fairly protected waters that hold good amounts of flounder? For background, I'll be driving down from Tally and I'm pretty familiar with the waters from wakulla beach to alligator point/st. Teresa.

Thanks.
There is no such thing as a bad day fishing.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for Flounder

Post by Joe »

Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find flounder with your Kayak in the creek mouths as they wait for the bait fish to dump out of the estuaries as the water level forces them out with the tides.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

When you find them, post the spot. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Fishing_Ninja

Post by Fishing_Ninja »

I appreciate the help, and if I find them, I'll let you guys know. I have been fishing the incoming tide and apparently, I have been giving up too early. Now all I need is some good weekend weather.
bman

Post by bman »

The docks on the Bay side of alligator point hold a lot of flounder. That would be a great protected area to fish also!

You're going to find reds trout and flounder all in the same area the flounder will just to be on the bottom sufficient a lot slower

I don't particularly well at night there.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

The best bet on taking and targeting flounder is by "gigging" with a trident like spear sold in most bait stores. To do this you need to go and wade (about knee deep or less) at night on the bay side of one of the islands St. George or Dog Island or the bay side of Alligator point. Most folks use a car battery (held afloat in your kayak) and a submersible or floating light to spot them then carefully "gig'em" by pinning them to the bottom. When they are on the bottom lightly covered by the sand, "hiding", they have that familiar shape of a spade under the sand. Move slowly and get the gig directly above them then (with great force) gig'em to the bottom. Once they stop flipping, put your hand under the fish (still pinned down), and slowly pick them up being sure not to let go because they can sure get away from you while they are still green. Then slip em into the cooler (also in your Kayak). The sting rays usually follow you and stay at the outer perimeter of the reach of your light. They are more curious than anything, but they have enough sense to get out of the way, the flounders are paralyzed by the light and think you can't see them. The last time I did this we got about 12 flounders behind Dog Island in the bay within 20 minutes. Be sure to use some kind of insect repellent because the insects attack every square inch of exposed skin. :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Fishing_Ninja wrote: So does anyone know of some fairly protected waters that hold good amounts of flounder?
When you find them let me know. I have a bait that even the kids can catch them on. :)

Seriously though, we work miles of shoreline and rarely find multiple flounder in one location. We have found a couple within a few feet of each other, but most the time they are 10+ yards apart from each other.

But I agree, if fishing hook and line, look for creek mouths(big and small), ledges, rocks etc. They love to lay up against structure.

Fishing_Ninja

Post by Fishing_Ninja »

bman wrote:The docks on the Bay side of alligator point hold a lot of flounder. That would be a great protected area to fish also!
I appreciate all the advice, but I particularly like this idea. Besides throwing live bull minnows, do you have any advice on bait? Technics?

Also, is my memory correct that there is a boat ramp I could launch from on the point that puts me right in the middle of all those docks?
bman

Post by bman »

Yes- its near one of the public beach accesses... Ive caught plenty on gulp and white bait.
anything near the bottom.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"