Louisiana?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jjewell99

Louisiana?

Post by jjewell99 »

I have been a frequent fisherman in the gulf from Destin to Tampa and a lot in between however I have always wanted to go to Louisiana and finally I am going this July. Does anyone have any suggestions to where to fish from and/or how to fish? I know venice is the so called Mecca for redfish and I am leaning toward going there. However I dont really know where to start. I know everyone will say hire a guide, but too me that is half the battle. I like to say I did it without hiring anyone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Louisiana?

Post by dombern34 »

LA is an amazing place to go, i went to Delacroix last year and will be going again in two weeks may 8th-12th. you do not need a guide. you just simply need a boat, map and your GPS. the local guys there at the bait shop will be more than glad to point you in the right direction. IMO everywhere is good. you can get lost out there so be careful, i just followed my track marks to come back in. Delacroix is a very small fishing community and everyone was very nice. the redfish weren't picky on what you threw, we caught them on just about everything. just troll the banks. you'll catch Redfish, Trout and bass all off the same grass banks but 8 of 10 times it's going to be a red. hope you get a chance to make it over there. its an experience everyone needs to have on their bucket list.
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

South Louisiana is where I first learned about inshore saltwater fishing while I was there in the 90's for a couple of years working on a project. If you are targeting redfish inshore, no place I have fished since has ever come close. Having said that, until I learned some areas well and found some holes, success was spotty there as well. You mentioned Venice, and that is a great area, but many of the best redfish spots from there are "down the river", which involves running the Mississippi River with huge ships that throw 20 - 30' wakes, and oil crewboats/service boats that haul butt. I don't know what kind of boat you have, but that can get a little hairy. Also, the river is sometimes fast and full of debris like trees and telephone poles, although in July it should be lower and slower. The jettys at the mouth of "South Pass" are a great place if you can get there.

I had the best success inshore in an area from Golden Meadow to Grand Isle. If you look at a chart of that area, you will see literally hundreds of miles of canals (many dug by the oil industry) that all hold fish at various times. What you might try also is what worked for me. Also ask the locals in any area you might want to try. My experience is that many of them are very proud of their fishery and have no problem sharing info with you and might even offer to take you out to some of their spots.

Redfish action is best there in spring and fall, but they are definitely still there in July if that is when you can go.

Hope this helps.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Just went last week for my second trip. However , I did go with a guide so I wont be much help as how to do it yourself. I can tell you that we caught plenty of fish. There is so much water there that it would be intimidating for me to go it alone. Who knows, I might have done just as well without the guide. Good Luck !
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

Never been but we are loading up the Pathfinder and headin West this fall! I have a buddy who guides in S. Florida and he recommended this area to me and he sent me this link! Again, I have never been to Louisiana but he has been many times and likes this area for consistency! :thumbup: http://www.captaindude.com/
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

been there three times now , each time with a guide ,if I am luckey to go agin I will still use the same guide. I have fished out of lafitte la. with Capt. Helmer who owns Phil Robichaux charters. There is no place in the world that I know like the red fishing in La. The area is constantly changing so it is good to have some one who is fishing all the time
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Have a couple of buddies that go. Safety is key down there as mentioned above. They also told me there are a lot of pipes and culverts, etc that run through those canals, so tread carefully when running.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hackberry Rod & Gun Club, they aren't cheap, but they do it right!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I have gone four times to fish a week with my cousin, who used to live in LA and is an expert. We do strictly sight fishing, artificial only, and catch the heck out of reds, mainly. It's a different kind of fishing than I normally do, and at first I had a hard time hooking up. Once you get the hang of it it's great.
Now LA is a long drive and the areas fished are real confusing on the water. Tons of artificial canals, pipes, reefs, shoals, etc. we always use a mapping GPS, which only helps somewhat, and aerial photos, which they sell in the area, much more useful. I myself would not go without a guide, at least the first time. IMO, there are more reds of all sizes and more shrimp and smallish trout there than anywhere else. They also grow some huge crops of biting insects in the warm months, so wear long treated clothing. I have had to pull up a insect blocker buff over my head many times to keep from going nuts from bugs.

The fishing is wonderful, but IMO the marsh is dog ugly in many areas due to all of the oil industry canals, pipes, and general junk. Also, unless you are with a licensed guide an out of state fishing license is real expensive. Worth it, but high.
EJ
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

Thanks guys for all the info. I will use my gps and I have a friend that works for a satalite imagery company and im pulling a favor by getting an updated areial photo. I will probably stay away from venice due to running out the mississippi(i only have a mako 1801) i dont like messing with those barges. I will update.

Thanks Again